Is it allowed to eat anything during break?

knakkaritknakkarit Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'll sit for the exam from 9am through lunchtime. I was wondering if I can bring anything to eat such as chocolate or milk during the break.

Any advices are welcome.

Comments

• papadocpapadoc Member Posts: 154
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

Majority of the test centers I've been to allow eating/drinking during your "unscheduled" break.
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There is no mandatory break during the exam. All breaks are considered "unscheduled" breaks. So with that said, you can have as many breaks as you desire if you are comfortable and you can eat drink and have a feast if you pleased. The only thing is, you have to have your break inside the test center. You are not allowed to go outside. When I took the exam, I took only a 5 minute break and had some nice chocolate bar.
  • wyntechwyntech Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    papadoc wrote: »
    Majority of the test centers I've been to allow eating/drinking during your "unscheduled" break.

I wrote yesterday and when I took my break I had a granola bar and a bottle of water that I brought. They also had a water cooler. They have a nice virtual tour of a typical test center on their website to give you a better idea of what they are like if you haven't been: Pearson Professional Center tour :: Pearson VUE
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You aren't allowed to bring food to the test itself, but most test centers have lockers where you can store your food.

CISSP is a long exam so it's okay to eat whatever you brought with you during a break. I ate protein bars and milk that I brought in and stored in a locker.
  • knakkaritknakkarit Member Posts: 10 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. I'll bring power bars.
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Yes but they must check both sides, as well as the inside of your food for notes...
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    See? So much easier when you had CISSPs proctoring the exams. You went to the back of the room. Ate quietly, had a drink, went to the bathroom when you needed. All good.

I took five breaks in 2 hours 10 minutes. All unscheduled of course. Why? because I bore easily during tests.

- b/eads
  • mjsinhsvmjsinhsv Member Posts: 167
    The pearson vue **** proctors wouldn't let me eat anything. They did let have a drink of water, while they watched me.
    I made the mistake of bringing my phone into the lobby and locking it in the locker.
    Forgot to turn the phone off so when I took a break , the ****'s made me turn it off (while they watched me of course).
    When i went back to the test station, the ****'s made me turn my pockets inside out, roll up my sleeves, remove my shoes and show them I didn't have anything under my tongue or in my mouth.

Didn't take another break as I feared the cavity search was next.

When I finished and the **** handed me the results, she smiled and said..
    Thanks for testing with Pearson Vue ! Please come back !

I'm not joking btw. Guess they thought I looked like someone who would ****.
    I've been through TSA searches that haven't been that intrusive.
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    And you guys thought i was joking about my notes on the food comment......
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mjsinhsv wrote: »
    When i went back to the test station, the ****'s made me turn my pockets inside out, roll up my sleeves, remove my shoes and show them I didn't have anything under my tongue or in my mouth.

I had to do the same for the Security+ exam ( but the guy skipped the mouth part :D ) I asked why and he informed me that they are required to do this in front of the camera, and that someone from VUE / Pearson is watching them do this.
  • papadocpapadoc Member Posts: 154
    mjsinhsv wrote: »
    The pearson vue **** proctors wouldn't let me eat anything. They did let have a drink of water, while they watched me.
    I made the mistake of bringing my phone into the lobby and locking it in the locker.
    Forgot to turn the phone off so when I took a break , the ****'s made me turn it off (while they watched me of course).

Didn't take another break as I feared the cavity search was next.

When I finished and the **** handed me the results, she smiled and said..
    Thanks for testing with Pearson Vue ! Please come back !

I've been through TSA searches that haven't been that intrusive.

What?!

Not only did I eat at the center, I even offered some food to the main desk reception staff and was handing out some extra water bottles to other test takers in the waiting area.

The only thing I had to do was a dual palm scan (left and right) along with having my picture taken. They just asked if my pockets were empty. No turning out of pockets or rolling up sleeves or pants cuffs or any of that. All of the examination booths were recorded so they felt that was a good enough "detective" control icon_wink.gif

It must vary across various test centers.
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I was able to take a couple breaks and eat a snack, along with a drink. But, they would not let me reopen my locker once locked, so had to leave the snacks sitting on top of the lockers. They also were not aware of the break policy at first, and had to check with another employee before giving me the go ahead, glad I asked before getting started.
  • beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    wes allen wrote: »
    I was able to take a couple breaks and eat a snack, along with a drink. But, they would not let me reopen my locker once locked, so had to leave the snacks sitting on top of the lockers. They also were not aware of the break policy at first, and had to check with another employee before giving me the go ahead, glad I asked before getting started.

That seems fitting. You shouldn't be giving these people any reason to declare you a **** and fail your exam whether you actually did something inappropriate or not. Yes, I understand most would rather not face the paper exam in a hotel room but given the choice to do it over again? I'd still do a hotel meeting room and CISSP proctors. Then again it was 9 years ago and a different time.

- b/eads
  • mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I went outside and ate a snickers
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I took two breaks that lasted about ten minutes each. Used the restroom, drank some water, and had a snack without any issues. I had to show that my pockets were empty and do the palm scan which was not out of the ordinary.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • iotaiota Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks all who shared the experience. Hope it's the same.