Cost of SANS tests

dony2015dony2015 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi All,

i need an urgent answer here please. I am studying some SANS GCIH materials as I do not have the money to attend the training. My question here is, how much would it cost me for the test when I am fully ready for the test?

Comments

• johndoeejohndoee Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dony2015 wrote: »
    Hi All,

i need an urgent answer here please. I am studying some SANS GCIH materials as I do not have the money to attend the training. My question here is, how much would it cost me for the test when I am fully ready for the test?

So, you want to get an Incident Handler Certification but can't find the price online for the certification exam cost without official training? Hmm.. Please reconsider obtaining the CEH instead.
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just the exam without training is $1699
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That is the route I am going, self study, and the exam is $1699 without any SANS training. When you register for the exam, you get two practice tests, but the catch is you can only take them one time each. Prepare first then take one practice test, focus on the areas you scored weak in. Good luck!
  • dony2015dony2015 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks all for your urgent replies. Johndoee, I already have CEH, and CHFI v8. One final question for those who have attended the GCIH course, does the price include the test or, after attending the training you still pay another $1699 for the test?
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You get a discount on the exam if you take the course...takes it down to about 50% the cost. The benefit with the actual course is the exams are made from the official courseware books so you have everything you need to study.
  • dony2015dony2015 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the information.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Flash news! Exams went up again. All exams are $1,899 now.

OP, spend some time on SANS/GIAC website. All this stuff if clearly spelled out there.
    Wow you weren't kidding, went up yesterday in between our posts, crazy.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    cyberguypr wrote: »

OP, spend some time on SANS/GIAC website. All this stuff if clearly spelled out there.

Son of a %&@#in #&@!$! There's one or two that I've been wanting to challenge too. I'm going to have to decide if I will move forward with any GIAC certs or just let mine lapse.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »

LOL wow I'm glad I registered in time!
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Son of a %&@#in #&@!$! There's one or two that I've been wanting to challenge too. I'm going to have to decide if I will move forward with any GIAC certs or just let mine lapse.
    Maintaining them isn't terrible so I don't think letting them lapse is wise, especially since you get the new materials...but I do wonder why they raised the prices.
  • josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Jesus. Wasn't the original jump to 1699 less than a year ago? I get they're trying to push folks to take the course vs challenge, but man this is becoming scumbaggery.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Looks like everything went up, Course $6,210, Exam attempt (with course) $729, Exam without course $1,899, Work Study $1,500, Cert renewal $429.

Well I for one think it's long overdue, It's about time SANS raised prices, too much rift raft getting certifications lately. Besides nothing makes me happier and asking my boss to approve ever increasing amounts for training. The company has too much money, after all there's only so much they can give away in stock dividends. This gives management another way to get rid of more unwanted cash.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    TechGromit wrote: »

Well I for one think it's long overdue, It's about time SANS raised prices, too much rift raft getting certifications lately. Besides nothing makes me happier and asking my boss to approve ever increasing amounts for training. The company has too much money, after all there's only so much they can give away in stock dividends. This gives management another way to get rid of more unwanted cash.
    Agreed! The management at my workplace has been complaining that I haven't been spending enough and that quality training was far too cheap lately. They'll be head over heels that they are going to get even higher proposals now. Everyone knows that higher price = higher quality.
    may be small pool / anecdotal, but i haven't seen that many bums getting SANS certs. Out of the frauds i've encountered, they've either failed, or were too intimidated to try since they couldn't hit up a site and download the answers. On top of that the price of the courses and certs were at and beyond the mendoza line a couple years prior as far as barrier for entry. this sucks. glad you guys have generous education budgets at work though.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    .... glad you guys have generous education budgets at work though.

On a more seriously note, it's getting harder and harder to get work to sign off on SANS training and travel.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    I'm an idiot. It's pretty rare I overlook sarcasm on a message board, especially such obvious use.

i was really fired up lol. yeesh