Rate RHCA exams by difficulty?

/pub/beer//pub/beer/ Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've passed and failed a few of the RHCA exams, some have made me want to cry like the EX442 or have been a breeze like the EX318.

I have a few exams left to reach my RHCA - Cloud and I was looking for something that I can do with taking the Red Hat class and doing just a little bit of studying.

I'm thinking of taking the EX280 or EX236 currently, but there are others as well I may end up doing.

I'm curious how people that have taken multiple exams would rate them in difficulty (no NDA related info needed). Just curious if some on my list are closer to torture, or a stroll through the park :D
Certification Goal:
- ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comments

• BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi dude

I've taken the DO405 about 2 weeks ago. Exam was difficult but I would rate him just a bit higher than RHCE and this partially because I had trouble understanding what the final outcome should be when I finish some exercises. It may be that I am not a native english speaker and that's why the issue but asside from that if you study I dont see why you should not pass it with ease. With all these issues I've was confortable with the result and I've got the result from RH in about 1,5h from the exam finish. Next one on my list is EX342 so I would be very interested also with the responses.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I thought that the numbers, 200, 300, 400, had something to do with how hard the exams are. On that basis, the RHCA Cloud should be easiest, since you can do it with 5 200 levels...
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • /pub/beer//pub/beer/ Member Posts: 67 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I never realized you could hit the RHCA level with all EX200 exams for the Cloud.

I understand that they should be in order of the numbering, but I haven't seen it that way.

If I had to list the exams I've taken in order from easy to hard it would be:

EX318
    EX200
    EX401
    EX407
    EX300 (maybe because the scope is so wide / maybe swapped with EX407)
    EX442

It's good to note about the EX405 -- I would say the EX407 threw me for a few loops. In some ways, it was easier/more enjoyable than the EX300, but in other ways very frustrating in terms of the scoring.
    Certification Goal:
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • asummersasummers Member Posts: 157
    /pub/beer/ wrote: »
    I never realized you could hit the RHCA level with all EX200 exams for the Cloud.

I understand that they should be in order of the numbering, but I haven't seen it that way.

If I had to list the exams I've taken in order from easy to hard it would be:

EX318
    EX200
    EX401
    EX407
    EX300 (maybe because the scope is so wide / maybe swapped with EX407)
    EX442

It's good to note about the EX405 -- I would say the EX407 threw me for a few loops. In some ways, it was easier/more enjoyable than the EX300, but in other ways very frustrating in terms of the scoring.

That's a good spread from the easiest to a seriously tough exam
  • YuckTheFankeesYuckTheFankees Member Posts: 1,281 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Awesome thread. I bought the Red Hat Learning Subscription in Jan and I've been going through their courses. I havent taken any of the RHCA exams yet but I am also curious about the difficulty. Here are the 5 exams Im thinking about taking:

1) Ansible (407)
    2) Puppet (405)
    3) Troubleshooting (342)
    4) Containerized Applications (276)
    5) No idea yet...most likely another DevOps exam
  • ky13ky13 Member Posts: 14 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The ones I've taken thus far (ranked easiest to most difficult):
    EX413; EX276; EX236; EX200; EX210; EX407; EX403; EX405; EX300; EX280
    Wow, what do you do for work where you have completed so many RHCA exams?
    Wow, what do you do for work where you have completed so many RHCA exams?

Senior Consultant at Red Hat :)
    That makes sense! lol How do you like it?
  • anfieldanfield Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi. Do you mind sharing a few details about the ansible exam? Do you use it everyday? Approx how long did it take to get prepared for? I'm on that path now
    I'm thinking of digging into EX270 as well. I need to get into using Docker more and containers.

As far as Ansible, I didn't use Ansible much prior but I did also attend Red Hat's training for it and I will say that it gave me what I needed to pass the exam. I went from 5 to 100 in proper Ansible knowledge in one week. I would very much recommend it.
    Certification Goal:
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I am training in ansible at the moment using my own VM with material from linuxacademy. Just trying to figure out when i'll be ready to take the exam. Thanks
    Is it true you can access the help on the command line during the exam? Also I cannot find anywhere if they have published what % it takes to pass?
  • BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Usually for the Red Hat exams you need 210 point from 300 to pass an exam.
    That makes sense! lol How do you like it?

Love it! Never feels like work!
  • ephico2realephico2real Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Please does anyone here have a sample exam questions for Red hat ex270. I will really appreciate the help. I want to confirm if we have to configure Kubernetes during the exam.
  • ephico2realephico2real Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Ky13. Please Do you have any advice for ex270. I will really appreciate it.
    Pretty sure the EX270 is Retired based on redhat.com - going to look at the EX280 next myself.
    Certification Goal:
    - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • przprz Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ky13 wrote: »
    EX413; EX276; EX236; EX200; EX210; EX407; EX403; EX405; EX300; EX280
    First, hello
    Second, congratulations :) - I somehow hope to get a job there another time, if they don't keep candidatees who refused at the very last moment on the blacklist
    Third - what You wrote here make it look quite ok actually - although I'd like to go for 442 to at the moment, it's been two years after my RHCE and it's time to prolong the certifications.

As I'm, at the moment, typical SysAdmin - without any DevOPs experience and I'd somehow prefer to go for RHCA - DataCenter - in details, I'd definitely go for before-mentioned 442, 413, 407 and then I'm a little bit stuck - 436 could be nice, 342 is something I'd definitely go for, however I haven't found any training except the official one and it seems to be really dificult and also unavailable here (from my current location I'd also need to go from Chile to Argentina; that's sth my company would never pay for).
    318 would be a last resort - well, I have configured oVirt cluster and it seems to be the easiest one, but I don't find it useful at my job or any around.

The question here would be - if it's possible to become RHCA with any 5 of the exams - in this case I'd like to learn the OpenStack and go for 210 :)
    /pub/beer/ wrote: »
    Pretty sure the EX270 is Retired based on redhat.com - going to look at the EX280 next myself.
    Yeah. The RHEL Atomic Administration exam has been sunsetted.
    prz wrote: »
    First, hello
    Second, congratulations :) - I somehow hope to get a job there another time, if they don't keep candidatees who refused at the very last moment on the blacklist
    Third - what You wrote here make it look quite ok actually - although I'd like to go for 442 to at the moment, it's been two years after my RHCE and it's time to prolong the certifications.

As I'm, at the moment, typical SysAdmin - without any DevOPs experience and I'd somehow prefer to go for RHCA - DataCenter - in details, I'd definitely go for before-mentioned 442, 413, 407 and then I'm a little bit stuck - 436 could be nice, 342 is something I'd definitely go for, however I haven't found any training except the official one and it seems to be really dificult and also unavailable here (from my current location I'd also need to go from Chile to Argentina; that's sth my company would never pay for).
    318 would be a last resort - well, I have configured oVirt cluster and it seems to be the easiest one, but I don't find it useful at my job or any around.

The question here would be - if it's possible to become RHCA with any 5 of the exams - in this case I'd like to learn the OpenStack and go for 210 :)
    Thanks! Yes; you can take any combination of exams+RHCE in order to obtain RHCA status. I've heard the 342 exam is quite difficult (due to the broad nature of the study points). Best of luck! I would recommend choosing 5 exams that either relate to you work (current or desired) and/or ones that interest you in general.
    EX413; EX276; EX236; EX440; EX200; EX210; EX407; EX403; EX405; EX300; EX280
    Updated to include EX440 (JBoss AMQ7 exam).
  • MalwareMikeMalwareMike Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Updated to include EX440 (JBoss AMQ7 exam).

Awesome job man! I have taken a few red hat exams and I really respect anyone who passes these exams.
    Current: GSEC, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, GYPC, RHCSA, WCNA
    2019 Goals: CISSP, Splunk certifications (Certified Core, Power User, Admin, and Architect)
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Malware_Mike

Awesome job man! I have taken a few red hat exams and I really respect anyone who passes these exams.
    Thanks!
  • SIGTERMSIGTERM Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    7/10 if you are just self-studying with little/no experience with Linux.
    Done: RHCSA, RHCE, CCNA Cyber Ops, AWS - CSA, ITIL
    To Do: AWSx5, LFCE

• SIGTERMSIGTERM Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lol nevermind..I thought the thread is about RHCSA
    Done: RHCSA, RHCE, CCNA Cyber Ops, AWS - CSA, ITIL
    To Do: AWSx5, LFCE