Options

Can't play specific video in any browser

Neil86Neil86 Member Posts: 182 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey all,

I've been scratching my head on this one today. There is a video that a friend is trying to watch on her laptop for school, but it won't play in any browser (Chrome, FF, IE). But I am able to watch the video on my desktop, Macbook, and other computers. On my desktop, a right click indicates JW Player is being used, and I'm not too familiar with that. It's just weird that it won't play in any browser. I have verified the computer is updated, drivers are updated, I've turned the firewall off and any other virus protection, reset all browsers, deleted cache/cookies/history, messed with flash settings, etc. This is on an HP Envy 14 Beats edition laptop, so sort of an oldie. I have attached an image of the error I am receiving. Any insight? Am I having a brain fart? Thanks.

Link to video: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/showsheart/

s2jU4xT.png

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    delete the JW player?
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Neil86 wrote: »
    Hey all,

I've been scratching my head on this one today. There is a video that a friend is trying to watch on her laptop for school, but it won't play in any browser (Chrome, FF, IE). But I am able to watch the video on my desktop, Macbook, and other computers. On my desktop, a right click indicates JW Player is being used, and I'm not too familiar with that. It's just weird that it won't play in any browser. I have verified the computer is updated, drivers are updated, I've turned the firewall off and any other virus protection, reset all browsers, deleted cache/cookies/history, messed with flash settings, etc. This is on an HP Envy 14 Beats edition laptop, so sort of an oldie. I have attached an image of the error I am receiving. Any insight? Am I having a brain fart? Thanks.

Link to video: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/showsheart/

s2jU4xT.png

Looks like a PBS Video.

Try these steps:

https://www.pbs.org/troubleshooting/

PBS VIDEO TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE
    SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
    Supported desktop browsers: Latest or most widely used version of Chrome, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Firefox, Safari.
    Mobile devices running: Apple iOS, Android 2.3 and Android 4+
    Support for Flash + HTML5 on desktops (auto-detected), HTML5 on devices
    Connection speed: Broadband Required (Minimum bandwidth speed of 500kbps)

DESIRED VIDEO IS EXPIRED
    Many episodes are only made available during a limited window following a TV broadcast or rebroadcast. You may be able to find the expired episode for a small charge through iTunes or on DVD at http://shoppbs.org.

LATEST EPISODE OF A PBS PROGRAM NOT YET AVAILABLE
    Many of our programs have some lag time between broadcast and streaming availability. If the episode is not available, please check back later.

STALLING OR CHOPPY VIDEO PLAYBACK, AUDIO ONLY STREAMING
    Check your internet connection. A broadband connection with at least 500 Kbps is required for the best viewing experience.

ERROR MESSAGE SAYING THAT I'M OUTSIDE THE UNITED STATES
    Some of our content producers require that we only make their content available to residents of the US. For content distributed via the Internet, including our iPad and iPhone apps, we need to rely upon IP addresses in order to verify the location of viewers.

ERROR MESSAGE SAYING SOURCE FILE NOT AVAILABLE
    There is currently no streaming file for this video which is compatible with your phone / OS.

VIDEO ENDS ONLY 20 MINUTES IN
    PBS limits embedding of full length content on external sites to the first 20 minutes. The full episode can then be watched on any PBS platform or any of our partner sites.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor