CISM passed 7/6

kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
I think this "up to" 10 working days to see the official pass score is going to drive me bonkers. Already started working on CGEIT....icon_lol.gif
Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!

Comments

• LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats! The CISM is one of the exams in my plan. I should soon meet the work experience requirements and hope to take it before year's end.
  • kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Thanks!

I have plenty of related experience so most of my studying dealt with getting accustomed to the ISACA questioning format. Advice: slow down and read the questions thoroughly.

CGEIT will be taken next month and CRISC will follow a couple weeks later.
  • roxerroxer Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass!!
  • averageguy72averageguy72 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    CISSP / CCSP / CCSK / CRISC / CISM / CISA / CASP / Security+ / Network+ / A+ / CEH / eNDP / AWS Certified Advanced Networking - Specialty / AWS Certified Security - Specialty / AWS Certified DevOps Engineer - Professional / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Professional / AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate / AWS Certified Solutions Architect - Associate / AWS Certified Developer - Associate / AWS Cloud Practitioner
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great job! icon_thumright.gif In my case, ISACA maxed out on the 10 business days.
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
    Just got my official pass email!! Yahooo!!
  • wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats? Didn’t you fancy taking the cissp first?
    Yes, and I will still take it because CISSP-ISSEP will be needed to move upwards.

I am actually prepping for several certs right now.
    kaiju wrote: »
    Yes, and I will still take it because CISSP-ISSEP will be needed to move upwards.

I am actually prepping for several certs right now.

Damn you’re in beast mode right now congrats though
    Not really. I just need to get the certs to match my experience. I have lost out on a couple high paying jobs because I didn't have the REQUIRED certification. Lack of a cert will never again be an excuse for not getting a job.
    I feel your pain that’s why I’m knocking the cism out then cissp
    I will definitely be CISSP-ISSEP by the end of the year.

My roadmap for certs: (I already have all of the study material)
    CCNA (200-125) and Scyber (600-199) on the same day ( a couple weeks from now).
    CISSP within a couple weeks after CCNA/Scyber
    CEH week after CISSP (I have been ready for a while. Just want to do it after CISSP for the CPE.)
    CISSP-ISSEP
    MCSE - I will also find time to squeeze in 2 tests that will give me 2 MCSE.

Bonus certs if time permits:
    CCNA Security
    PMP - missed out on a cool "urgent fill" Project Management position last year because I didn't have PMP to accompany my experience. Cert was REQUIRED to be considered for the job and there was no way possible for me to get certified in 2 weeks!!
    CGEIT
    CRISC

Following year:
    CCNA Data Center
    CCNP R/S too.
    LPI or RHCE (currently playing around with Debian, RH, and Kali linux)

I get bored easily so I jump around with the studying in order to keep my mind busy. I am also in the midst of completing a Cybersecurity BS so the writing papers based off of NUMEROUS NIST pubs has helped a lot with retaining formation for CISSP. I have a proven study method that works for me so I shouldn't have any problems completing my cert goals. Proven = I did MCSA2016, NCDA and NCIE while also taking 300~500 level college classes and working full time. I took a 3 month study break before doing CISM so now I am ready to get busy again! For MCSA2016 I had my own lab at home but I also had lots of 2012 R2 experience on a VERY LARGE enterprise. Working on NetApp and VMware was an everyday occurrence for me so preparing for the tests was just a matter for studying the bookish material that rarely relates to real world situations.

My suggestion for any person who is having issues retaining information: do imprinting.
    My imprinting:
    Read the material thoroughly!
    Use old school pen and pen to take notes!
    Write legible using cursive!
    Read what was written slowly and thoroughly.
    Repeat a couple times if needed!!

The actions of reading, writing in cursive and then re-reading the material imprints the information.
    Note: Imprinting does NOT work if you are rushing or cramming. This is not a last-minute study method!!!
  • lucky0977lucky0977 Member Posts: 218 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The CISM is four domains of the CISSP so no difference in which one is taken first
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Science | Hawaii Pacific University
    CISSP | CISM | CISA | CASP | SSCP | Sec+ | Net+ | A+
    lucky0977 wrote: »
    The CISM is four domains of the CISSP so no difference in which one is taken first

Huh? Could you please expand on that comment?
    Huh? Could you please expand on that comment?

CISM domains vs CISSP domains

CISM Domain 1—Information Security Governance
    CISM Domain 2—Information Risk Management
    CISM Domain 3—Information Security Program Development and Management
    CISM Domain 4—Information Security Incident Management

CISSP Domain 3 - Information Security Governance & Risk Management
    CISSP Domain 8 - Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery Planning
    CISSP Domain 7 - Security Operations (incident response)
    CISSP Domain 1 - Access Control

Just saying you can take the CISSP and study 8 domains or do the CISM which is only half of the CISSP. They are equally difficult but passable if you put in the study time.
    I am still trying to figure out why you are talking about the differences in CISSP and CISM. I switched to CISM because I was on a time crunch (needed IAM III ASAP!!). Going back to CISSP because I need to get to CISSP-ISSEP by the end of the year.
    Congrats? Didn’t you fancy taking the cissp first?

I was replying to this post. Trying to to say that you learn the same information minus the four extra domains. I know I didn't explicitly mention that there would be less study time involved with the CISM but it was implied when it is half the material of the CISSP.
    lol.... OK! I got bored with CISSP because of the dry reading. Since completing CISM and reading lots of NIST publications I think I will not have a problem staying focused this time.
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lol.... OK! I got bored with CISSP because of the dry reading. Since completing CISM and reading lots of NIST publications I think I will not have a problem staying focused this time.

Really? Found the CISM RM to be more dry. icon_wink.gif
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
    [FONT=&amp]Yahoo!!

7/6 - Passed on CISM.
    7/16 - Received official results.
    7/24 - Submitted application (would have submitted on 7/16 but I had to wait for one of my verifiers to return from vacation).
    7/26 - Pre-certification status changed to "completed first review".
    8/2 – Officially certified CISM

Need to knockout a CCNA, LPIC-1, and MCSE before returning to tackling CISSP in the fall.
    [/FONT]