Passed the 740 exam this morning

Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
I spent about 4 months preparing for this exam.
First I watched the CBT Nuggets videos. I am always happy with them but they are of course pricey.
I followed that up with reading the book and labbing. Unfortunately my lab was not in place soon enough and I did not get to test everything. I will go back to a lot of it as I work on 741 and 742.

Finally I reviewed the videos again and took the practice exams that came with CBT Nuggets. Without the experience of the practice exams I don't think I would have been able to pass. A big part of it is just getting use to reading the questions to figure out what they are asking.

Things I wish I did. Put a hyper-v lab together earlier. (some things I did not get to work before taking the test)
Started practice questions earlier maybe 1 or 2 weeks earlier. (taking the practice test before the second review of the videos might have helped)

In the end it was doable without cheating it just takes a time commitment.

Jon

Comments

• malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats.

I found CBT Nuggets a great source for 70-740, combined with notes from Technet and labbing helped me get by. I did use Pluralsight at first but I found their material to be all over the place but soon as CBT Nuggets released their 70-740 videos I felt better when studying.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• ben2techben2tech Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have my MCSA in windows 10. I want to study for the 70-740. My employer could give me SATV vouchers for a New Horizons class online class. Which I dont really like because I feel I learn better watching videos at my own pace. My question is, am I correct in wanting to use CBT nuggets instead of taking advantage of the class?
  • malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ben2tech wrote: »
    I have my MCSA in windows 10. I want to study for the 70-740. My employer could give me SATV vouchers for a New Horizons class online class. Which I dont really like because I feel I learn better watching videos at my own pace. My question is, am I correct in wanting to use CBT nuggets instead of taking advantage of the class?

Do both, the more study materials you have from different sources then higher chance you have of passing the exam.

Server 2016 exams aren't something to be taken lightly compared to Windows 10.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• jpanda206jpanda206 Member Posts: 23 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with malachi, do both. The in person course is good because you can ask questions and solidify your thought process on certain topics.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I started out with very little server knowledge. So from my point of view I would also say do both. Make sure you have something set up for doing labs. They are going to want you to know how to do the steps involved in setting up features. This is easier to learn if you actually do it a few times.

Any machine that will let you nest a few Hyper-v machines will work.

Good Luck!
    Jon
  • ben2techben2tech Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all.