Passed the SY0-501

AdamWashingtonAdamWashington Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
Three years ago when I took the SY0-401 certification exam I made a 730 and missed it. I took the SY0-401 two more times and still didn't make the mark. Today I showed up and took the SY0-501. I passed the certification exam. My poin is no matter how many times it takes you continue to take swings at it and don't give up. I am very thankful. My study material back then was great. I used David L. Prowse Pearson's book. It isn't bad. This time for the 501 I thought I would try something new and went with Darril Gibson in addition to going off the exam objective. After the third time I failed the 401 which was 2 years ago this one person said to me that maybe it isn't for me. No matter what the result was I was still going to keep my chin up and stay positive. I also plan on reading Darril Gibson's books and other material because it never hurts to even after getting the certification. I posted on here a few years discouraged when I failed the 401. Just thankful and going to let this sink in. Whatever material works for you grab it. The exam objective is key to.

Comments

• paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well done! And congrats. It's great to read that you never gave up!
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass and on not giving up! Cheers! icon_cheers.gif
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats! And yes never ever give up, persistence is important. When I finished my CISSP exam, the proctor was telling me about a guy who failed it five times so far, while that is kind of sad on one hand, he still keeps trying though.
  • D20D20 Member Posts: 124 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!!
    Certifications: A+ Sec+ isc(2) CC Google Cybersecurity Certification 2024 Goals: Pass the Network+ Exam
  • SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrates comrade! This test can be a bit of a challenge but you persevered and succeeded. Well done!
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! As cliche as it is, "It doesn't matter how many times you fall, it's about getting back up!" You stuck with it and it payed off!
  • fyshcheffyshchef Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!! I'm preparing for the 501 now, after just missing the window for 401.....how were the sims you had? Thanks in advance
  • glennmglennm Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

What study material you using for perp. I am bit lost in what book to buy to study from.

thanks
  • glennmglennm Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats buddy

What study material did you use to prep for exam?

thank you
  • AdamWashingtonAdamWashington Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you so much everyone for the kind words. I am looking at CySA+ now. fyshchef and glenm, I did a lot of self-studying with Darril Gibson's 501 book. It was very helpful. I was able to listen to the exam topic reviews over and over since it had audio. I also printed out the exam topic reviews. There were labs that the book mentioned that you could do. I would also recommend David L. Prowse's book because of the performance-based questions. It just gives you a feel, but I had Prowse's 401 book with the cd before I digged into 501. For the sims it doesn't hurt, but for a deeper view that helped me out I would recommend Darril Gibson to anyone and his website to anyone. I know CBT Nuggets are out there and Professor Messer, but Darril Gibson, especially with the examples went a long away for me.

Fyshchef and glennm I hope that helps out and I hope you are able to pass. Thank you again for the congrats. Still have a ways to go. Oh and one more tip. Now everyone is different, but what helped me out when taking the test. I skipped the longer questions or ones with longer answers. What that did for me was just give me more time. Again. Everyone is different.