Custom Case

paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
Does anyone here enjoy modding their computer? I have a new rig that I seem to be addicted to making regular "tweaks".

My most recent thought is to build a custom case since my current case doesn't fit all the components so I leave the case open and I have wiring and components outside.

My setup is weird enough that I've never seen a case that would fit all my components well. I was thinking about buying an open test bench but I haven't seen one that I liked. I recently watched a few videos on diy cases using PVC and MDF. Has anyone ever tried to build their own case?

Comments

• DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not familiar with an "open case"

What type of components do you have? Dual GTX Titan Z? ;)
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not familiar with an "open case" What type of components do you have? Dual GTX Titan Z? ;)
    The open test benches are usually used for testing. I was looking at the Praxis Wetbench but I don't think it would fit my needs.

Regarding the components - I don't use Titan Z's. They are probably great for gaming but in benchmarks, the GeForce architecture seems to work better.

I probably should explain my setup. I have 4 1080ti's in my rig. It's a non-standard server mobo with dual Xeon procs. Because of the noise, I water-cool my components and I use very large radiators that don't fit in most cases. And the components draw a big of power so I have to put a second PSU on the outside as well to power some of the cards.

I also have a second mobo that I plan to move from the current chassis so I can share power and cooling so the custom case would ideally need to have space for 2 mobo's. I'm trying to consolidate some of my VMs and get rid of 2 other servers. I've seen some cases that can fit 2 mobos but I still think it's too limiting.

It's a very functional setup but a bit on the ugly side which is one reason why I was thinking about building a custom case for it.

If anyone has ever done that, I would appreciate any tips or ideas.
  • wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    wd40 wrote: »

That's a pretty nice case. I had been looking at the Corsair Obsidian and Caselabs Magnum double-wide cases. I hadn't looked into Thermaltake cases.

I still think that I may need to build my own case. My mobo uses a proprietary form-factor and I may want to re-use the hot-plug drive enclosure. So even if I was to buy a case, I am likely to have to mod it heavily.