:?: Question about MCSE

gotboost920gotboost920 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have searched the forum but didn't find any real lead. I am starting to work on getting the MCSE cert. My question is : of the seven courses within MCSE, is there "starter" course ,per se, I can start so I can get my feet wet? If so, which one is it? Thanks in advance
32d Sig BN
B CO

Comments

• amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
    The XP 270 exam is probably the first step in my opinion. Expect a very long road to MCSE though if your starting from scratch.
    Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )
  • NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Really the 2 easiest modules on the MCSE/A route are the following:

1. Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional this is for exam 70-270 and

2. Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment this is for exam 70-290

The above 2 are actually 2 of the core requirements for the MCSE/A.

See here for more info: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/windows2003/default.mspx

However if you are working on the 200 track then the easiest would be the 70-210 & the 70-215.

If you did want to do an "easier" Microsoft course/exam just to get you into the swing of how MS courses/exams are like then I would suggest doing the MCDST: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcdst/default.mspx

Hope this helps.

-Ken

PS: please be aware that Microsoft also recommends that you be working in the field for at least a year, as these are professional qualifications/certifications and not academic.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is a copy and paste I made from a few days ago:

My advise is to start with 70-270. This will allow you to become more familiar with the Operating System. It would teach you topics such as RIS (which is going to be replaced by Windows Deployment Services, Encrypted File System, Compression, Security Authentication protocols, NTFS/Share permissions, user profiles, unattended installations, and much more.

Learning 270 first will definitely help you when you go to do 290 where you learn topics such as Domain Controllers (only briefly - more on this in 294), Terminal Services, fsutil, Software Raid Arrays, Disk Partitioning (using the Logical Disk Manager through both the GUI and the command line "diskpart,") and more.

Now you have your feet wet in both client operating systems and you have been introduced to the Windows Server Operating System. Now you are on your way to the MCSA/E "Beast" which is known to be the most difficult exam. You will learn many topics such as Domain Name System, Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, IPSEC, Routing and Remote Access, and more!

You will then need to do an elective exam for your MCSA. There are many options to choose from. If you want to go into security, Comptia Security+ can be your elective. Also, A+ and Network+ combined can be your elective. 70-284 (Administering Exchange 2003) can also be your elective which will give you both MCSA and MCSA:Messaging.

Then if you want to finish your MCSE, you should do 70-293, 70-294, and finally 70-297.

In short, the majority of people do their MCSA in the following order:
    70-270
    70-290
    70-291
    Elective
    70-293
    70-294
    70-297

Since I am going for my MCSE, I didn't do the elective after 70-291 and am currently doing my Exchange Elective after my 70-297. This is because 70-293 talks a lot about clustering and certificates which the Exchange exam also discusses briefly. I figured it would be better long-term if I had a much thorough understanding of certificates and clustering if I did the 70-293 before my Exchange exam.

Hope this helps...
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • gotboost920gotboost920 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys for the feedback. They really help. Its time to start reading...
    32d Sig BN
    B CO
  • nuglobenuglobe Member Posts: 190
    I've actually seen people suggest taking 70-290 first. I would have done it, but I was already 60% with my studies of 70-270.

It makes sense really. A lot of the questions on the Windows XP exam will expect you to have a pretty strong understanding of whats going on with the server (policies and what not).
    GenshiroGuide: My blog about things I found useful. Now with videos. :)