Passed SSCP

donx4donx4 Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□
Passed the SSCP exam today, just have to wait for the confirmed result and to send on my experience to (ISC)2 to be formally awarded it.

I started studying 8 weeks ago, realistically though it was only 6 weeks of study. I was away for a week and took about a week to get back into it after that. The test seemed fair, a few question that came from material id never seen before.

I used the sybex book, the gold CBK book and the plural site videos. the Sybex book id say covered about 90% of what came up on the exam, but there was material that in the CBK, which i didnt spend as much time with unfortunately, i found it had too much depth.

I watched the videos on a domain with pluralsite, read the same chapter on the sybex book, went back made notes of that chapter and then did the sybex test question. I did this the whole was through the domains and when i got to the end i moved to the CBK and did the domain chapter quiz and reviewed all the question i missed, read the section that i was hazy at.

I also used the SSCP iphone app, i really liked it, helpful flash cards and test question in there.

Also i found that 70-80 percent of the content is shared with the sec+ if anyone who has done id before your in good shape to pick up the SSCP, it dose dive a little more into technical detail in places but I found the information attainable

I'm torn now on weather to go for the CySA+ or jump to the CASP

Comments

• securitychopssecuritychops Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass! :D
    Current Certs   : OSCE, OSCP, CISSP, Pentest+, Security+, SLAE, SLAE64
    Goals for 2019 : OSEE
    Goals for 2020 : OSWE
  • wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The CASP doesn’t really hold much weight here in the U.K. not sure what it’s like in Dublin? Unless work are paying I’d skip that and look into the cissp
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! I'm studying for SSCP now and hope to take it in a month or so. I was working on CWNA, but got the opportunity for some training and sidetracked to SSCP, so hoping to get it done soon.
  • tripleatriplea Member Posts: 190 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great job on the pass! icon_thumright.gif
    The CASP doesn’t really hold much weight here in the U.K. not sure what it’s like in Dublin? Unless work are paying I’d skip that and look into the cissp

Like what has been said, you might want to consider how well known CASP is in your location. In my case, I took it because my manager told me back then that Sec+ is a foundational certification and I felt that I'm not quite ready yet for the CISSP at the time. I'd say it is a bit more technical in contrast with the CISSP, but the knowledge I gained from studying was definitely useful.
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • donx4donx4 Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□

I know its not a heavily weighted cert here UK/ROI but im only in the security world about a year, I dont have the experience of the CISSP. I was thinking to do the CASP partly as another notch in the belt but also to start soaking up some of the content and Ideas that im going to find in the CISSP when i get the experience needed. Definitely for me the CISSP is the main target, im just try to scoop up others while im waiting, CEH CHFI etc
  • donx4donx4 Member Posts: 13 ■■■□□□□□□□

Like what has been said, you might want to consider how well known CASP is in your location. In my case, I took it because my manager told me back then that Sec+ is a foundational certification and I felt that I'm not quite ready yet for the CISSP at the time. I'd say it is a bit more technical in contrast with the CISSP, but the knowledge I gained from studying was definitely useful.

Thats what im hoping to get out of it, i dont have the experience for the CISSP but im looking to be exposed to the content, it will make the CISSP journey a bit easier
  • fabostrongfabostrong Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I understand that. I’ve been thinking about going for the CASP just cause it’s a very technical exam and I know I’d learn a lot.
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□

What's great about some certs is how the studying and taking a test may help you prepare for some subject matter for another cert, thereby making the next endeavor take less preparation time. I figure eventually I'll go toward CISSP myself, but probably do CASP on the way since much of the subject matter is similar.
  • sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • ansionnachclisteansionnachcliste Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats.

Onwards and upwards!
  • tahjzhuantahjzhuan Member Posts: 288 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! I took the SSCP not too long after Sec+ and it felt more difficult, but I passed. Thought I had failed CySA+, but also passed. Currently studying for CASP and hope to take it before it changes in October. Also took the CFR-310 beta and awaiting the results. I can't say that I didn't learn anything with any of the certs and so they're all valuable to me. Applying the defense in depth strategy to my certifications. May have felt more comfortable bypassing exams if I were working in a full time security role, but this is not the case.