Degree Choices.

Bugsy1314Bugsy1314 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello, everyone! I will be finishing my Associates in Networking Technology in May of 2019 and need help where to go next. I'm divided on WGU or Eastern Carolina University. 63 of my credits will transfer to ECU. Although, it will still take 3 years to get the degree which is in Industrial Technology with a concentration in I.T.. However, I feel like the computer science degree from WGU will be more beneficial to me in the long run because I'm undecided on which career path I would like to go.

Link to ECU: https://www.ecu.edu/degrees/BS/Industrial%20Technology/

Comments

• iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You should really take the time to research which direction you want to take your career then align that to your degree choice... not the other way around. The whole point of seeking higher education is to develop key skills for your chosen career path which will make the cost of going worth it.

Unless of course you have money just burning a hole in your pocket...
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • debugmedebugme Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I dont think the degree you get matters , its just the fact that you have.
  • Bugsy1314Bugsy1314 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Both of you are correct. I really should rephrase my last sentence as it is not the case. lol I have already invested 3 years into this associates in networking and most likely will pursue that path. Normally the degree does not matter I've just heard from a few people saying its better to pursue a computer science degree because of software defined networking and the fact that around here at-least they are asking network engineers more computer science related questions....
  • Basic85Basic85 Member Posts: 189 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've always felt that it's beneficial for network engineers/system admin to learn some programming.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you are willing to do the work then I highly suggest getting a Computer Science degree. So many options become available to you when you have it that there isn't much of a downside.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bugsy1314 wrote: »
    Both of you are correct. I really should rephrase my last sentence as it is not the case. lol I have already invested 3 years into this associates in networking and most likely will pursue that path. Normally the degree does not matter I've just heard from a few people saying its better to pursue a computer science degree because of software definedHey networking and the fact that around here at-least they are asking network engineers more computer science related questions....

I'd say finish that associates in networking and then get a CS degree. Combine that with IT certification in your region of interest, some internships or work experience in both fields, or both combined and you're off to a great start.