Options

Certs following a WGU program?

PantherPanther Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
Anybody take certs following a WGU BS/Masters program?

I'm weighing attending WGU. I'm afraid of not keeping up--whereas certs on my own time is less pressure. Of course, having a scheduled program/timeline is good also.

Comments

• Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The world of work is full of pressure if you want to get ahead. No one says you have to move at a full-time pace, drop a class per semester and focus on the ones you are taking. Would this be school plus work or just school? School plus work can be tiring. I was working a consistent 50+ hrs per week when I went back to college and could not have done full time.
  • Options
    PantherPanther Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It'd be work plus school.

Even though WGU is flexible to working people, they still want you progress, on a schedule.

Or, if you're super smart/experienced, finish in as few terms possible.
  • Options
    albinorhino187albinorhino187 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I completed my WGU bachelor's in April 2017 while working full time with 2 kids. Started a new job, which that degree was absolutely a HR filter helper and door opener, in June 2017. I started CCNP Switch two weeks later, passed in October, and I've been doing ROUTE ever since. I'm trying to test this month, with TSHOOT to follow in August.

So yes, you can do it all if you push yourself.
    CCIE RS - Written (Goal: July 2019) [ ] Lab [ ]
  • Options
    Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I completed my WGU bachelor's in April 2017 while working full time with 2 kids. Started a new job, which that degree was absolutely a HR filter helper and door opener, in June 2017.

I just had a kid late last year and I'm still trying to juggle work and family time. To think that you had 2 kids, working full time and completed your WGU Bachelor's... bowing.gifbowing.gifbowing.gif
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • Options
    albinorhino187albinorhino187 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Direct those worshippers to my wife. Kids were around 2.5 and 1 at the time. I had my associates and some certs at the time I started WGU, but I still needed a little over 60 credits to finsh. Knocked it out in 7 months. It was 7 months of doing school work for several hours after we got the kids to bed, and her getting them out of the house for several hours at a time (HUGE) at least one, if not both days over the weekend. Every day. For seven months.
    CCIE RS - Written (Goal: July 2019) [ ] Lab [ ]