Resumes/Work

Stan27Stan27 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
I know a person who, because of his online resume and experience, has been receiving many offers to work in very high-end management positions. This made me consider writing a resume to see if I can do something for myself.

How effective are those online sites like Monster.com?

I am only 17 years old, in high school, and have just finished my A+ certification.

I have experience setting up large networks in a few schools and educational facilities in my area. My school was going to hire me, but the upper-level people at the district office won't let the school hire a student tech, even though the contracts and other various official papers say that the school can do so.

I have been doing odd-job work for people that need assistance with computers.(That means I've never had a real job.)

I would like to start a business, maybe something like a private contractor, but it hasn't gotten off the ground yet.

The reason for all of that is to give you guys some information about myself so maybe you could point me in the right direction and give me some information or stories about how you have gotten into the careers you are in.

Thank you.

Comments

• SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The best places to post your resume, in my experience, has been the following:

Craigslist. This is where I ran into my current employer.

Careerbuilder

Dice. Highly competitive, you'll find a lot of demand for college graduates and/or high-level experience and certs.

Monster. A lot of fluff, expect to get hit up with a lot of offers for sales positions, but you can find some good stuff if you're willing to dig through the superflous hits and the HR-driven, idiotic demand for MCSE, CCNA, and all kinds of other stuff for simple helpdesk positions.

Other than that, don't be afraid to go knock on doors, go hit up specific companies, and take a look in your local want-ads in the paper and other local job sites. A good place to start is with your local hospitals and with state and city government agencies like courthouses, police departments, and schools.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Stan27Stan27 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you, I will definitely check out those sites.

What exactly do you do with those that you listed? Find who's in charge and hand them my resume?
    You do the same thing you'd do for any job. You find out if you have to go through official channels, such as apply online or contact their HR department. Otherwise, you play it by ear, and see who you can talk to. Sometimes, you'll find that you can talk to the high-ups right away, sometimes you talk to the department heads, and sometimes you just talk to whoever deals with hiring and hand them your resume so they can sit on it until they actually are hiring.

• Stan27Stan27 Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I looked around the places you listed, they all want people with degrees that can work full time.
    Once I get my resume written I can get more active.

I'll keep looking... Any other help or tips is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: If you don't mind entertaining my curiosity, where in the Bay Area do you live? I live in Salinas(unfortunately).
    I work over in Marin, but I live in Sonoma county (unfortuantely).