Options

Virtualizing Servers for 70-697/698 Study

sensitivestoicsensitivestoic Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've come to realize that for both the 70-697 and 70-698 exams it would be extremely beneficial to have access to a virtualized installation of Windows Server 2012/2016. What in your experience is the best way/cheapest way to virtualize a Windows server environment? Rudimentary HDD with minimal install? Partition/virtualization on existing disk? Ideally this configuration can easily be reverted to its "base" form for trial and error. I'm aware of various lab programs, but don't want to spend money every month when my studies will extend for a long period of time. Obtaining an OS server license should not be an issue. Thanks in advance!
Certs Achieved: CompTIA A+ | Net+ | Sec+ | Project+ | MCSA Windows 10
Currently Studying:
  MCSE Server 2016
Future Goals: CAPM/PMP

Comments

• Options
    malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There are free virtual labs directly from Microsoft https://www.microsoft.com/handsonlabs/SelfPacedLabs

I used my own computer then built a cheap AMD computer with an 8 core 8320 CPU. They are dirt cheap because of Ryzen and people want to get rid of old tech.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• Options
    backtrackerbacktracker Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do yourself a favor and get a cheap SSD to run your virtual machines off of. It will increase the performance and decrease your wait and down time quite a bit between installs and configuration changes. Also just use the trial versions as Malachi mentioned.
    MSM-ISS (Information System Security)-'07 Colorado Tech.
    MCSE | MCSA X3 | Security + | Network +
  • Options
    There are free virtual labs directly from Microsoft https://www.microsoft.com/handsonlabs/SelfPacedLabs

I used my own computer then built a cheap AMD computer with an 8 core 8320 CPU. They are dirt cheap because of Ryzen and people want to get rid of old tech.

Thank you for this link. I was unaware of these resources available through Microsoft. I often feel like they have a lot, but it's a maze to navigate.
    Currently Studying:
      MCSE Server 2016

• Options
    After looking at the link Malachi provided it seems as if the lab environment is much more directed. I found another source that just recommends using VirtualBox with the Windows Server Trial? I'm starting to lean toward buying a minimal SSD as you mentioned and then using VirtualBox as outlined here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/36438.windows-server-2016-build-a-windows-domain-lab-at-home-for-free.aspx

However, I thought Windows 10 came built with Hyper-V and all of that baked in, am I wrong on that front and independent software like VirtualBox is still required?
    Currently Studying:
      MCSE Server 2016

• Options
    backtrackerbacktracker Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□

However, I thought Windows 10 came built with Hyper-V and all of that baked in, am I wrong on that front and independent software like VirtualBox is still required?

Home edition does not support Hyper-V. Pro, Enterprise, and Education do- any of these would work.
    MSM-ISS (Information System Security)-'07 Colorado Tech.
    MCSE | MCSA X3 | Security + | Network +
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I believe if you have the windows 10 pro version you should have the option to install hyper-v on it. If not virtual box is free and easy. It has been a few years since I have used it but it did not take long to get a virtual machine running.

Good Luck!
    Jon
  • Options
    malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you can, do your labs in Hyper-V because when you come across questions about Hyper-V such as in 70-697. It will help reinforce your learning because you already know your way around Hyper-V.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.