I have my 2nd Technical Interview tomrrow! Any advice?...

labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
A little bit of background: I'm coming from a Infrastructure/Desktop role with 0 security experience in a production environment. I took Intro to Security during my Associates and other than what was covered in my CCNA, that's about it. They knew this and preferred it since it allows them to train me up "their" way.

I had my first technical interview in mid June, knocked it out of the park. There were some security topics they asked about, that I admitted I wasn't familiar with or hadn't heard of, they were fine with that. At the end they mentioned a couple core security topics I should study up on and get familiar with.

The next day, their internal recruiter called me and said, I did great and they want to re interview me on those security topics they mentioned. She said re-interviews are rare so they were happy with your networking/troubleshooting background and now want to see if you're going to study the material.

I've been studying several sources of security material: Darrell Gibson's SY0-501 Get Ahead book, Mike Meyers Udemy Sec 501 class, and tons of printed material on individual topics that I found interesting/important. I feel prepared and confident going into it. I took the mile wide approach hoping to be able to touch on more topics, rather than a deep understanding of a few topics. I also got my current job to pay for my 501 w/retake, so when I'm ready I'll take the test.

Any advice will be appreciated!!

Comments

• LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It sounds like you have a good plan, study the latest in best practices and techniques, which are covered in the most up to date Sec+ exams, I would be sure to focus on the topics they mentioned. Take some notes. If you are getting a phone interview, keep the notes handy. I think you will do fine, you stated they know you don't have experience in information security, so make sure you know the core at the level of an educated layman.

Good luck!
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Read the common attacks and how to prevent: for example: XSS, CSRF, DOS, DNS Attacks and many on.
    Ports are always a must question.
    Common based scenarios "What happens if..." and how do you handle it.
    How to escalate issues.

Good luck! Keep us posted!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • labscloudlabscloud Member Posts: 137 ■■□□□□□□□□
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    It sounds like you have a good plan, study the latest in best practices and techniques, which are covered in the most up to date Sec+ exams, I would be sure to focus on the topics they mentioned. Take some notes. If you are getting a phone interview, keep the notes handy. I think you will do fine, you stated they know you don't have experience in information security, so make sure you know the core at the level of an educated layman.

Good luck!

I feel confident/prepared on the topics they specifically told me to study, I know there will be additional questions other than those, which is why I tried to ingest as much info as possible over the last few weeks. I have plenty of notes to reference, and yes it is a phone interview, but I'll still dress business casual in case they want to switch to skype/facetime/webex mid-interview, ha. You never know...

Here is my note board currently, I've got a few more sheets to add tonight and I should be set!

Thanks for the tips!!
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's great that you're taking it seriously and really preparing. Not many job candidates take it to this level. I find that most people wing it when it comes to job interviews or even skills. Most here on TE are a rare breed, even though it doesn't seem like it when you join the forum.

I think you'll do well, and good luck.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just remember that they want you to succeed. They don't like having to interview people over and over again, and you are almost, maybe, probably good enough for them--if you can learn what they asked. I wouldn't spend too much time learning what they didn't ask. They know you won't have had time to learn everything about security in between interviews. I'd really focus only on what they gave you.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
    labscloud wrote: »
    I feel confident/prepared on the topics they specifically told me to study, I know there will be additional questions other than those, which is why I tried to ingest as much info as possible over the last few weeks. I have plenty of notes to reference, and yes it is a phone interview, but I'll still dress business casual in case they want to switch to skype/facetime/webex mid-interview, ha. You never know...

Here is my note board currently, I've got a few more sheets to add tonight and I should be set!

Thanks for the tips!!

Hehe it sounds like you are very well prepared. In fact, I should be taking notes from you icon_wink.gif
    Seriously, with those **** sheets, you are going to be fine. Just make sure you are relaxed, always project confidence in your responses.
  • LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    As someone who had experienced in engaging people during interviews, my advice for aceing an interview is paying the details on how you answer the questions instead of what you answer. If you are really certain and get the answers correct, then its great for you. But most likely you are definitely going to encounter a question that you may not the right answer. Therefore, you should be prepared to answer in a way to show that you are not 100% certain of the question/answer, and answer it in a way as a guess.

Knowing how to answer the question correctly is more important than attempting to give the correct answer itself. Based on past experiences, I had come across countless instances where candidates try to give an answer as a right one even they don't know if they are correct. By trying to enforcing they are certain even they are not, it will give the interviewer the impression the candidate is attempting to smoke his way through the interview. This kind of behaviour to smoke through answers usually become a huge major red flag to the interviewer. As a candidate interviewing for any position, ideally you should try to avoid falling into that situation.
    Ismaeljrp wrote: »
    It's great that you're taking it seriously and really preparing. Not many job candidates take it to this level. I find that most people wing it when it comes to job interviews or even skills. Most here on TE are a rare breed, even though it doesn't seem like it when you join the forum.

I think you'll do well, and good luck.

Thanks man! This opportunity is by far, the best job I've interviewed for regarding pay, benefits, culture, company overall. I'm doing everything I can to ensure I'm properly prepared for their questions. Taking it seriously is the only way I'll land the job!
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    Hehe it sounds like you are very well prepared. In fact, I should be taking notes from you icon_wink.gif
    Seriously, with those **** sheets, you are going to be fine. Just make sure you are relaxed, always project confidence in your responses.

I should be fine with being relaxed, I defintely was the 1st technical interview. I guess this time is a "tad" more intense because a lot is riding on this one, if I pass this one, I only have the "C-suite" interview left, which is their final look at me to see if I'm going to fit the culture! I'll be fine though, going to knock it out of the park!

Thanks Lord Qarlyn!
    Well, I didn't get the job. They said 2 other candidates had a better understanding in a few areas. I was bummed out Friday after they called, but I know things will fall in place. I've been steadily receiving emails/calls from recruiters so something will fall my way soon. I just really wanted to work for "that" company with amazing benefits and what not. On to the next one!

Thanks everybody for the tips!!
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    ah, I am sorry to hear that, but you are getting call backs and calls. Keep the faith!
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
    labscloud wrote: »
    Well, I didn't get the job. They said 2 other candidates had a better understanding in a few areas. I was bummed out Friday after they called, but I know things will fall in place. I've been steadily receiving emails/calls from recruiters so something will fall my way soon. I just really wanted to work for "that" company with amazing benefits and what not. On to the next one!

Thanks everybody for the tips!!

Bummer, sorry to hear that. But you do have a positive outlook and I agree something good will come your way.

I know exactly how you feel, I applied for the job. I knew people who worked there, I was able to get to the hiring manager directly. Had two great interviews, even he said so. Had virtually all of the certificates they were seeking. I work closely with his former boss who he admires still, and his former boss spoke to him a great length about me. Had another contact at the location, who gave me a referral.

It turns out the guy is looking for a purple unicorn. This was over 8 months ago, the job is still open and unfulfilled, my contact there has confirmed that.
    ugh, I hate that. There were a couple of jobs I interviewed for years ago, and two of them would call to say 'still interested in you, but we'd like to interview other people.' Well, gee..thanks.
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good job. Anyways you did your best. Now is time to write those technical question and focus on what you answered maybe you were a little nervous.

All the best in the next one!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
    nisti2 wrote: »
    Good job. Anyways you did your best. Now is time to write those technical question and focus on what you answered maybe you were a little nervous.

All the best in the next one!

Thanks guys, I was a tad nervous this go around compared to the 1st tech interview, which I wasn't at all. I'm a big believer in the "universal flow" of things, and apparently this wasn't supposed to be my next job. Something else, possible better, will arrive and I'll be ready!
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You're gonna crush it labscloud.

You have a great attitude, and that is what it's all about at the end of the day. A great attitude will help you achieve anything.

I like to look at interviews as a chance to improve in areas I didn't think I was weak before. Whether it's the actual interviewing itself, or my knowledge. So you always get something good out of it no matter what!
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ugh, I hate that. There were a couple of jobs I interviewed for years ago, and two of them would call to say 'still interested in you, but we'd like to interview other people.' Well, gee..thanks.

The job equivalent of "we should get married, let me just check out these other chicks before I propose."
    Exactly! LOL