Videos vs Books

kosta-kkosta-k Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,
are only videos enough to get the knowledge for maintaining daily tasks?(for example, some server side stuff,office 365,exchange and AWS). Just to have the idea what to do in case something to work.
CBTnuggets, pluralsight, lynda - all have good series.
What is your opinion?

Comments

• Azt7Azt7 Member Posts: 121 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I only go this way for certifications and what works for me is the combination :

Udemy (or any other provider) at home
    Books at work with Amazon Kindle online

Let's say this week, I'm watching IAM content , I will look for the corresponding chapter in a book. Different perspectives and you get more info that way.

To keep up to date on daily stuff, I rely more on Amazon/Azure/Office 365 newsletters. I also have quite a few SME on LinkedIn so their post are somewhat complementary to this.
    Certifications : ITIL, MCSA Office 365, MCSE Productivity, AWS CSAA, Azure Architect, CCSK, TOGAF
    Studying for :  TBD
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Azt7 wrote: »
    I only go this way for certifications and what works for me is the combination :

Udemy (or any other provider) at home
    Books at work with Amazon Kindle online

Let's say this week, I'm watching IAM content , I will look for the corresponding chapter in a book. Different perspectives and you get more info that way.

To keep up to date on daily stuff, I rely more on Amazon/Azure/Office 365 newsletters. I also have quite a few SME on LinkedIn so their post are somewhat complementary to this.
    I am doing something similar. I am learning Python, I am watching videos on Udemy and reading sections in an O'Reilly book I picked up. I think I am picking it up...

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• MalwareMikeMalwareMike Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I am brand new to a topic, I will usually start with videos and then move to books because I can knock out books faster than videos.
    Current: GSEC, GCIH, GCIA, GWAPT, GYPC, RHCSA, WCNA
    2019 Goals: CISSP, Splunk certifications (Certified Core, Power User, Admin, and Architect)
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Malware_Mike

• yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No. You need all three. Videos, books, and labs/hands-on. There's no easy way out.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In addition to that always take notes.
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"