Resume Review Request

rsxwithslicksrsxwithslicks Member Posts: 75 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey Everybody!

Decided to put a little more effort on searching for a new position and been trying to put in some work in the old resume. Wasn't getting much of a response so I even went as far as getting a professional resume done by a company with high reviews.

Thoughts?
I've posted both my old one and new one.

Comments

• mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Summarize each position with a paragraph a use bullet points to highlight key accomplishments only.
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Overall I like the resume

I don't like the heading. IT System Administrator / Operational Leader. (I just feel like it says I don't know what I am). Maybe I am the only one who thinks this. I would decide on one and stick to it. IT Operational Leader? Looks like your last role and your days of a GM would set you up nice with that title.

If possible especially on your most recent position I would like to see more quantitative bullets similar to these.

Optimized system availability maintaining an average 99.9% uptime and removing redundant systems to reduce waits and improve accessibility to data.

Implemented Cisco Aironet wireless controllers and Access Points to reduce WLAN dead spots by +40%.

I would also like to see you tie a saving amount to the impact of these. So you maintained 99.9% uptime, how did that save your company money? Did this mean you didn't breach the SLA's which in turn saved your company money?

Stuff like that, but overall I like the resume a lot.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mikey88 wrote: »
    Summarize each position with a paragraph a use bullet points to highlight key accomplishments only.

Ditto. At the very least, write the summary paragraph well to show you can write. A resume full of bullets and sentence fragments does not impress and flies in the face of "outstanding communication skills"..
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    mikey88 wrote: »

I second this. Quickly, before scaredoftests sees it. icon_lol.gif
    Seriously though, you only want to use bullets to have your major achievements stand out, stuff you did that improved your work area.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    LOL. Should I look? icon_razz.gif

Anyway, I looked. I don't like the title either. Of course, get rid of the bullets and write a brief summary for each job. Save the bullets for a cover letter.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Depends how relaxed you are icon_razz.gif
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I have had 2 drinks today, so..I am kind of mellow. LOL
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■

I'm drying out today, last night was WOW.
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□

Nice! Can't have any drinks here, that General Order One thing lol.
  • rsxwithslicksrsxwithslicks Member Posts: 75 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Do any of you have any examples that might be helpful? I ask since in my original resume (Generic_ResumeOLD.pdf), I did put a brief summary.
  • LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I think your new resume layout is pretty well presented and impressive. However, some minor gripe on the resume which is pretty much critical in your application. However, I am not sure if you intend to include your educational background. Note that before the resume even got into hands of human eyes, it usually had to pass through an applicant tracking system. As silly as it may sounds, applicant tracking system looks for words relevant to the position that you will be applying for, such as bachelor or degree being some of the words that got to appear in your resume for your resume to go through.

In addition, another consideration to think is the number of minutes your potential employer is going to spend on each resume. Ideally, you have to present a summary of skillset so that it takes a little time as possible for the interviewer to select your resume for interviews. Your work experience doesn't matter as much as the summary experience in the first half of the page. I think it is ideal if you are going for a management position, but may not be ideal if you are presenting yourself from the technical aspect. There isn't a perfect solution to this issue, but something to keep in mind if it is not working out for you.

Examples to better highlight the skills: https://d.novoresume.com/images/doc/simple-resume-template.png. Just something to lookout for if you want to better highlight your skillset to the reader.
  • rsxwithslicksrsxwithslicks Member Posts: 75 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LionelTeo wrote: »
    I think your new resume layout is pretty well presented and impressive. However, some minor gripe on the resume which is pretty much critical in your application. However, I am not sure if you intend to include your educational background. Note that before the resume even got into hands of human eyes, it usually had to pass through an applicant tracking system. As silly as it may sounds, applicant tracking system looks for words relevant to the position that you will be applying for, such as bachelor or degree being some of the words that got to appear in your resume for your resume to go through.

In addition, another consideration to think is the number of minutes your potential employer is going to spend on each resume. Ideally, you have to present a summary of skillset so that it takes a little time as possible for the interviewer to select your resume for interviews. Your work experience doesn't matter as much as the summary experience in the first half of the page. I think it is ideal if you are going for a management position, but may not be ideal if you are presenting yourself from the technical aspect. There isn't a perfect solution to this issue, but something to keep in mind if it is not working out for you.

Examples to better highlight the skills: https://d.novoresume.com/images/doc/simple-resume-template.png. Just something to lookout for if you want to better highlight your skillset to the reader.

I don't have any education past high school which is why I didn't include an education section.

I'll work on the summary experience from a more technical side.

Thanks for the example.
  • LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Oh okay, I didn't complete my degree as well, which lead to the sad truth so application tracking system may filter out resumes that may not have those words. I will pm you separately on some interesting ways to adjust your resume for the system.

If you are interested, here are some resources that can help you with it.

https://www.jobscan.co/blog/the-top-simplest-six-tricks-to-beat-applicant-tracking-systems/
    https://www.jobscan.co/blog/top-resume-keywords-boost-resume/