Resume review request

AdoonAlleAdoonAlle Registered Users Posts: 1 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello Everybody
Techexams is a very good resource for IT professionals. As a new immigrant to states, I’ve learned a lot from you guys including how to navigate in IT politics, negotiate, ask for salary raise, submit resignations, many other important things. Also, I found great IT training resources from this forum including Cisco CCNA Cyber ops scholarship and VCP Training from Stanly community college.
I am changing my first IT job since I moved to the states, I just left my job and moved to another state. I’ve attached my resume for review (pasted as a text since I can't attach anything to my post). Would you please review it and let me know if I need to change the format and how I listed and presented my experience? Since my English is not that strong, please check for me the grammar and the words that I used to describe my job responsibilities.

Thank you.
AdoonAlle

First name Last name

Seattle, WA • Cell: XXX-XXX-XXXX • XXX@gmail.com
Network Administrator - CCNA
Professional Summary
Technology professional with more than 10 years of progressive technical experience, possess excellent knowledge within Cisco Technologies, Meraki firewalls, Microsoft and Linux OS, VMware, VoIP, and Citrix. Proven abilities in planning, installing, configuring and optimizing IT infrastructures to meet organizational needs.

Experience

Abc Company – Falls Church, VA Feb 2015 – July 2018
IT Systems Administrator
Managed and maintained entire company network infrastructure and systems including routers, switches, wireless access points, servers, VMware, nimble storage, AD DS, DNS, DHCP, DFS, file share, print services, MS Exchange, Citrix, VoIP, SSL certificates, and backup systems.

Responsibilities
  • Configured and maintained Cisco switches and routers, firewalls and wireless access points.
  • Managed networking services including VLANs, DHCP, SPAN, HSRP, Trunk, port-security, and routing.
  • Installed and maintained company firewall using Meraki firewall appliances for NAT rules, intrusion detection/protection, content filtering, and adjusting firewall settings as needed.
  • Installed VMware ESX servers, created virtual machines and migrated physical servers to VMware virtual server using P2V assistance.
  • Created standard templates and deployed virtual machines from these templates.
  • Migrated VMs across hosts within a HA cluster to perform maintenance tasks on ESXi hosts.
  • Installed, upgraded and managed Windows 2008/12 servers including DC, AD DS, DNS, DHCP, FTP, IIS, and print servers.
  • Managed Citrix infrastructure including VM servers, StoreFront/web interface, NetScaler gateway, Group policies, user profiles, license server, print services, and XenApp updates/upgrades.
  • Setup and maintained end‐user access to appropriate folders, applications and services, e‐mail, file storage, produce pro system, roadnet and print services (Windows and Linux)
  • Maintained and managed Microsoft exchange server including Databases, mailboxes, distribution Lists, public folders, permissions, and backups.
  • Deployed and managed mail security systems such as Symantec, Barracuda and Email Laundry to block spam and malicious emails.
  • Isolated and cleaned virus, malware and spyware infected servers, PCs and laptops.
  • Used Veeam and Veritas backup systems to perform regular backups of all servers and restore of virtual machines disks and data.
  • Ensured all systems, services, and applications are current with critical OS and security updates.
  • Performed hardware replacement and firmware updates on HP ProLiant servers and responded to server down alerts in a timely manner and brought them up via HP iLO.
  • Researched and recommended hardware and/or software solutions for short and long-range goals.
  • Minimized network outages by proactively monitoring network activity, systems, daily backups, antivirus status, and storage using Connectwise, Auvik, PagerDuty, and Site24x7.
  • Worked closely with vendors and consultants to resolve issues and optimize system performance.
  • Managed and provide guidance, training, and leadership to the IT helpdesk team and company users.
  • Worked with minimal supervision and instruction on routine work, and developed implementation approaches on new assignments.
  • Configured end-user devices such as laptops/desktops, IP phones, printers, and smartphones.
  • Created network and systems documentations using MS-Visio and ITGLUE.
XYZ Comapnay – Dubai, UAE May 2005 - Jan 2014

IT Support Engineer

Provided day-to-day desktop and network support regarding a variety of issues to the bank’s 40 branches and head office, closely worked with senior network engineers, IT support teams, and ISP account managers to resolve network and end-user issues.

Responsibilities
· Installed, configured and optimized Cisco IT infrastructures – Cisco switches, routers, VoIP Telephony, ISDN devices and Video conference systems.
· Provided office and home support for the Board of directors, executives, consultants, and staff.
· Installed, configure upgraded and supported Microsoft OS and office (Windows 7, 8, and MS office)
· Installed and supported, Dell Servers, desktops, Laptop, printers, wireless routers, AV system, VC system, and mobile devices (Blackberry, iPhone, iPad and Android devices).
· Investigated, analyzed, and resolved software, hardware, security and network connectivity problems.
· Referred major hardware and software problems, and defective products to vendors or technicians for service.

Education

Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA) – XX University

Certifications

· Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)

· ITIL Foundation Certificate v3

Completed training
· CCNA Cyber Ops training (Passed 210-250 exam -SECFND)
· VMware VCP training
· LPI Linux Essentials

Comments

• yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Looks decent overall. A couple of things stick out for me. Some people like bullets, some don't. I have a neutral opinion.

The wording of the professional summary could perhaps use a tweak or two:
    ". . . possess excellent knowledge . . ."

I think that word should be possessing, but I think overall the phrase possess excellent knowledge sounds kind of awkward in an English-as-a-second-language kind of way. Perhaps . . . possessing expert knowledge . . . might work here.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bullets are fine in small doses, you have way too many for the first job. They should add to the description about your duties, not be the primary source of that info. I have to give you credit, you did put some info about the companies into a paragraph, it just need to be fleshed out more.

As a hiring manager, I want to know the type of organization you previously worked for to see how it relates to mine, especially the most recent job. What industry did they work in? How big were they? You include that information when you're applying for a job at a firm you think you'll get bonus points for and leave it off for an application where you think it might hurt you.

Part of being success ful at getting a new job is not being lazy and sending the same resume to every company.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Get rid of the bullets. Write a brief paragraph of your responsibilities. Save the bullets for either a cover letter or summary.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • mikey88mikey88 Member Posts: 495 ■■■■■■□□□□
    EANx wrote: »
    Bullets are fine in small doses, you have way too many for the first job. They should add to the description about your duties, not be the primary source of that info. I have to give you credit, you did put some info about the companies into a paragraph, it just need to be fleshed out more.

+1

Too many bullets and way too technical descriptions. Maybe create a separate section for Tech skills and infrastructure you worked with.

Hiring managers want to hear about your accomplishments and how you benefited the company while employed there.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
    Get rid of the bullets. Write a brief paragraph of your responsibilities. Save the bullets for either a cover letter or summary.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Cover letter is definitely not a place for them either. I don't know where you got that idea from.[/FONT]
    Certs: CISSP, CySA+, Security+, Network+ and others | 2019 Goals: Cloud Sec/Scripting/Linux

• malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mikey88 wrote: »
    +1

Too many bullets and way too technical descriptions. Maybe create a separate section for Tech skills and infrastructure you worked with.

Hiring managers want to hear about your accomplishments and how you benefited the company while employed there.

Cover letter is definitely not a place for them either. I don't know where you got that idea from.

Its common knowledge scaredoftests doesn't like bullet points :D
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I meant summary page. Not cover. Sorry.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....