Copier Tech to I.T. tech

techcastletechcastle Registered Users Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
I am new here, and would appreciate some advice.
I am a copier tech for nearly 15 years. I have lots of experience installing printers/copiers onto
networks. I have recently passed the Comptia A+. I wish to continue getting certs but wold like some advice
on which to get. I guess my goal is to transfer into a full-time I.T. support roll, possibly networking.
I was thinking of doing the CCNA or Network + next?? Which would you guys recommend?

Also just wondering would my current skills and experience along with a ccna/network + certs be attractive to
prospective employers?

Many thanks for any input.
Regards,
C.

Comments

• kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If you think your knowledge of networking is strong you should skip Net+ and go for CCNA.
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • N7ValiantN7Valiant Member Posts: 363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Too much experience some might say. 15 years in the same-ish technical role shows little to no ambition to try new things.

Passing the CCNA might help get your foot in the door.
    OSCP
    MCSE: Core Infrastructure
    MCSA: Windows Server 2016
    CompTIA A+ | Network+ | Security+ CE
  • backtrackerbacktracker Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kaiju wrote: »
    If you think your knowledge of networking is strong you should skip Net+ and go for CCNA.

Agreed in that this would show that you are willing to put yourself a bit outside your comfort zone in order to expand your career.
    MSM-ISS (Information System Security)-'07 Colorado Tech.
    MCSE | MCSA X3 | Security + | Network +
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCNA would probably be a better option to get your foot in the door towards a networking job. However, if you get CCENT or CCNA, and have some extra cash, I'd consider the N+ at the same time. N+ is well recognized as well, and having it and CCNA can't hurt.
  • odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'd say skip the Network+ and go do the CCNA. The CCENT pretty much covers the same introduction material. The CCNA should open some doors for you.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you can afford it, go for the Network+. Getting CCNA afterwards will give you the CEU's necessary to renew the Network+, as well as the A+ you just passed. If money is a barrier, just go for CCNA. I don't think anyone would frown on you passing up Net+ for CCNA.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • techcastletechcastle Registered Users Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi all,
    Thanks for the replies, it looks like I should be looking more closely at the CCNA.
    What kind of positions do you think I could apply for following getting the CCNA?
    I realise I will probably have to start at entry level,
    Cheers,
    C.
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    kaiju wrote: »
    Exactly. After A+ I also recommend doing Security+ from CompTIA.
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was in the same field for about the same time. Its a very nice field for the most part except moving up is very hard due to very low turnover in the good companies. I agree CCNA would probably be the best move, Network+ is expensive and pretty basic. Are you in a company that can help you advance your goals?