When do you start to implement practice exam in your study regiment?

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
Just curious of the timing of the practice exams. Like the Boson or MeasureUp. Not the bad ones lol

I've been reviewing some MS material for about a week or so. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I usually go through the chapter quizzes as I finish if that's something in your material. Full blown practice tests are more towards the wrap up and review part of studying. I see people that take the practice exams over and over until they memorize every question and answer. That kind of defeats the purpose which is why I try to stay away from them until the end and use them to really test knowledge not question memorization.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I usually cram the practice exams into the last week or two so I don't memorize the answers. After taking the 70-740 last month I plan to start taking practice a few weeks earlier for my next exam.

I think there is a lot of value in starting to think about the content in the way they will ask you questions.
    I tend take a full practice test one night and then go through the questions one by one the next day to see why I was right or wrong.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Only try to take practice exams only after I went thru the books and studied enough till I feel I'm ready to take the exam. The problem with practice exams, even if you pay for them, there is only a limited number of them available. Once you burn them all, they are no longer effective in testing you level of knowledge.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Almost from the beginning. Which was a mistake with SANS lol, since you can only take them once. Practice exams are how I best learn the material, taking them and taking notes when I get incorrect answers - correct answers that I made a lucky guess. I do also read the material and watch media on the exam materials, but the core of my exam preparation has been taking practice tests.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    What I plan to do:
    - Do the practice exams (SANS for example), at least 2-3 weeks before the actual exam date. This gives me enough time to go through the material and work on my weak areas.

What Actually happens:
    - The night before the exam I do both practice exams (this is what happened with the last two exams I did GPEN / GCFA)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I usually go through the practice tests after I've read the entire material. icon_study.gif

The only downside here is being a slow reader as I am, I may have forgotten some of the concepts, but the upside is I am able to get the most benefit of the practice test as I'm looking at its entirety.
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First practice exam two weeks prior, second practice exam 1 week prior to the real deal.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    With Boson, I usually go through my study material and then take a practice exam and note what areas I struggled in when I review the exam. I read all of the explanations to make sure my correct answers were correct for the right reasons and to find out why my incorrect answeres were wrong. I’ll usually lab using some type of simulator and then take the second practice exam. The third practice exam I’ll usually take the day before the exam. Usually at some point I’ll get tired of studying and decide it’s time to take the test.

I usually use the official certification guides which they usually have their own practice tests. I usually take those as well after I’ve gone through my study materials.
  • malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    After I have finished taking notes and studied. I use the practice test to find my weak spots, go back take notes and try again. Until I feel Im comfortable for the real exam.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• cochi78cochi78 Member Posts: 72 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Usually after two thirds of the material (1-2 weeks before) like others.

When it's a practice exam with question-by-question explanations, I also categorize my mistakes into slips, not listening to my gut feeling and knowledge gaps. The first two usually don't bug me in the real test, as my concentration tends to be much higher. The latter I use to restudy those areas, if they were significant. Or just shrug about it, if reading the answer actually closed the gap.
  • backtrackerbacktracker Member Posts: 91 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I usually go through the practice tests after I've read the entire material. icon_study.gif

This.

I do all my studying and labbing first.

Once you have been through the questions once, the genuineness of it serving as a practice exam are gone. Then I try to focus on the explanations, and with what changes in wording or scenario could make the wrong answers right. That seems to help me get the most use out of the material.
    MSM-ISS (Information System Security)-'07 Colorado Tech.
    MCSE | MCSA X3 | Security + | Network +
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Usually, I read all my material and do the quizz. Then I do 1 practice test to know where I am. Then second round of study. Then I redo the same test, I expect to be better this time. Sure I memorized some answer, but it help me built confidence. When I feel confident, I do a new practice test, then a new round of study based on the practiced test.

My goal is to get a good score on a new practice test. Then I book the exam, and I start cramming all previous exam to find weak spot.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There most certainly will be a second round of study. I took one last night (free sample) and I either knew the questions immediately (simulations) or I struggled!

It was all or nothing.....

Either way I appreciate the feedback.

I've made my way through 2 different CBT's directed at this certification and now I am looking for a book to review / take notes going through the objectives from the MS site. Once completed I'll take a practice exam.

Thanks
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    What I plan to do:
    - Do the practice exams (SANS for example), at least 2-3 weeks before the actual exam date. This gives me enough time to go through the material and work on my weak areas.

What Actually happens:
    - The night before the exam I do both practice exams (this is what happened with the last two exams I did GPEN / GCFA)

I'm actually sticking to your original plan ;).

I found a few practice exams.... Still have some review but I am getting close. I'll schedule my exam this Thursday. Looking at ~3 weeks out.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I'm actually sticking to your original plan ;).

I found a few practice exams.... Still have some review but I am getting close. I'll schedule my exam this Thursday. Looking at ~3 weeks out.

Smart man, this is the way to do it
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE