Static Route in Ubuntu Desktop

Nik 99Nik 99 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi. Whats the best method to add a static route in ubuntu desktop 16.04? In the GUI (via edit connections) or through the terminal in etc/network/interfaces?

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Whichever you feel most comfortable with. Personally I'm a CLI type of guy.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Nik 99Nik 99 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ah, thanks for that. Another question. If I go with the CLI route will IP settings in etc/network/interfaces override anything configured in the GUI?
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you are using the GUI Network-Manager, it manages the files using the same mechanism as the CLI version of network-manager - Ie. nmcli. If you are editing the interfaces file directly, I don't recall where the source files are stored in Ubuntu 16.04.

One thing that I wanted to point out is that in Ubuntu 18.04, network-manager has been replaced with netplan and the configuration files are different. It uses a yaml format which is stored in /etc/netplan.
  • Nik 99Nik 99 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for answering that paul.

I would be using 18.04 but the application I want to use doesn't support it yet. Besides that netplan looks more annoying then network-manager, at least to me =P
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nik 99 wrote: »
    Thanks for answering that paul. I would be using 18.04 but the application I want to use doesn't support it yet. Besides that netplan looks more annoying then network-manager, at least to me =P
    You're welcome. I personally find all these mechanism annoying. I'm still annoyed by systemd but I'm slowly getting over my irrational thoughts about it.

Most apps will run fine on 18.04 unless they are using a obsolete package that 18.04 no longer makes avail in the repo. You can always try it on an 18.04 system to see if it works.