Options

Failed, and then passed, Security+-401

HorizonThiefHorizonThief Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello All,

I scheduled my exam last Monday and failed by 19 points. I was frustrated as I felt confident throughout the exam. I received two simulations which I felt were easy (match terms to definitions).

I immediately scheduled a second try today, the last day of the 401, and managed to pass with 759. It's only 9 points, I'm bummed by that, but it's still a pass. I received two simulations again, one I already had from before. The new simulation required identifying text to what device it belonged to (Please let me know if I need to edit this post, not sure if it's too revealing?). I've never dealt with some of the devices before, so I tried my best with this one but definitely would like to see how close or far off I was.

I had a college class on Security 2 years ago as part of my A.S., watched Professor Messer, and used the Derril Gibson Sec+ app and the Pocket Prep Sec+ app. I got it in under the wire but I did it. Now I'm looking at CCENT, as I'd like to find a Network Admin position to transfer into.

Thank you all!
(In Progress)
Accomplished:
COLOR=#008000][B]100% Done[/B][/COLOR Comptia A+, Comptia N+, Comptia Sec+, AS: CIS (Networking Concentration)
Goals for 2017: B][COLOR=#ff0000]0% Done[/COLOR][/B Cisco CCENT, B][COLOR=#ff0000]0% Done[/COLOR][/B Cisco CCNA: R&S B][COLOR=#ff0000]0% Done[/COLOR][/B B.S. IT Security

Comments

• Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! I have also "barely" passed CompTIA and other vendor exams, and as the popular saying goes, a pass is still a pass!

As far as revealing too much, the CompTIA website tells people what kinds of questions to expect, so as long as you're not divulging actual content, then you should be fine.

Best of luck on the Cisco. Keep in mind that since you passed Security+, that is the exam that you have to renew. So getting CCENT will NOT renew your CompTIA certs. You'll have to work towards CCNA Security for those CEUs. Are you looking at the CSA+ or CASP?
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass!!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    toeknee1973toeknee1973 Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats AT!!! I too have "just passed" exams thinking my score would've been higher , but like everyone else says , at least it's a pass. Don't let that get you discouraged tho. I noticed alot of questions from the security 401 exam weren't even in the different study material that i used. But at least i was able to understand most of the concepts. :)
    (In Progress)
    B.A. IT - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance - WGU
    HCISPP
  • Options
    TheComputerPlumberTheComputerPlumber Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hello All,

I scheduled my exam last Monday and failed by 19 points. I was frustrated as I felt confident throughout the exam. I received two simulations which I felt were easy (match terms to definitions).

I immediately scheduled a second try today, the last day of the 401, and managed to pass with 759. It's only 9 points, I'm bummed by that, but it's still a pass. I received two simulations again, one I already had from before. The new simulation required identifying text to what device it belonged to (Please let me know if I need to edit this post, not sure if it's too revealing?). I've never dealt with some of the devices before, so I tried my best with this one but definitely would like to see how close or far off I was.

I had a college class on Security 2 years ago as part of my A.S., watched Professor Messer, and used the Derril Gibson Sec+ app and the Pocket Prep Sec+ app. I got it in under the wire but I did it. Now I'm looking at CCENT, as I'd like to find a Network Admin position to transfer into.

Thank you all!

Congrats man!!! I "barely" passed my exam in June after failing for the second time (612) since 2015 (732) I had to wait 14 days to retake and then I finished the exam feeling extremely confident thinking I got a high score! I reviewed my answers and changed two of them and submitted the test I got my score. It read 751! lol talk about barely passing! I'm glad its done and over with. Not sure if changing my answers helped will never know...
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hello All,

Thank you all!

In my humble opinion, there is no such thing as "barely passed". You passed, you earned the certification. Like the old, old cliche goes, they call the person who was last in class in med school doctor. Heck, at least for the CISSP, if you pass they don't even tell you what your score is.

Therefore a hearty congrats for PASSING and wishing you all the best for your future endeavors.