A terrible process

kkasykkasy Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
What a terrible process to use Offline NT Password tool to crack a computer ,i wasted four hours today without any progress ,I'm desperate now, i don't know what to do next ?

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    NT as in Windows?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • albinorhino187albinorhino187 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Which OS?
    CCIE RS - Written (Goal: July 2019) [ ] Lab [ ]
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I like to do that too. Make one post one some random forum lamenting about how password breaking software is not working correctly. Great trust builder. I'm being sarcastic.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    and such vagueness. I know we are good, but our ESP needs work. Perhaps we need a bootcamp?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I'm nominating this for the TOTY award (Thread Of The Year).
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am thinking it is an Hiren's disk that they are using
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    shochan wrote: »
    I am thinking it is an Hiren's disk that they are using
    Yeah - probably the Offline NT Password editor - Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor

@OP - if you want help, there are plenty of people here willing to help. I assume that you realize that the Offline NT Password tool is not a password cracker. It works by mounting the volume using a different OS (linux) and it has tools to edit the SAM database directly. It's actually a very straight-forward technique.

The obvious drawback to this approach is that you must have physical access to the OS volume and the volume cannot be encrypted. If it's encrypted, you are out of luck and you can actually render the encrypted volume inaccessible if you muck it up.
    kkasy wrote: »
    I'm desperate now, i don't know what to do next ?
    BTW - if you are trying to just recover files, I probably wouldn't have bothered with trying to reset the password. I would have just mounted the volume and copied off the files. Or overlay a new OS.

It largely depends on your situation - as others have asked - need a bit more info - like what OS.
  • AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Offline NT Password is like the most straightforward tool ever. I'd do it for a 6-pack if you were local to me.
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well. That's the work many of us here do. We solve these problems quickly and elegantly in exchange for money.

When you choose to do it yourself, well, you take the risks and sometimes these things happen, why complaints?
  • PantherPanther Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you tried password
  • kkasykkasy Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Which OS?

Windows 10
    yoba222 wrote: »
    I like to do that too. Make one post one some random forum lamenting about how password breaking software is not working correctly. Great trust builder. I'm being sarcastic.
    Because this is a great fourm, I think my problem can be solved here .
    paul78 wrote: »
    BTW - if you are trying to just recover files, I probably wouldn't have bothered with trying to reset the password. I would have just mounted the volume and copied off the files. Or overlay a new OS.

It largely depends on your situation - as others have asked - need a bit more info - like what OS.

I found this tool on Google, and it showed me that it could help me break my locked computer without password .Obviously, I failed .
    I found this tool on Google, and it showed me that it could help me break my locked computer without password .Obviously, I failed .
    Is the volume with the SAM encrypted? If it's encrypted you won't be able to recover the OS.

What are you trying to actually recover? It may be simpler to reinstall the OS to recover any files and documents. But that assumes that the files and documents are on an un-encrypted volume.

It's my understanding that chntpw will work with Windows 10 SAM database. What kind of problems are you getting?
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds like you need backup your files on this hdd & reload...easiest thing to do timewise...you could have already done this 3x for the time you have spent on it.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • casreycasrey Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Which can only be used to crack the locked computer , maybe you did something wrong, you can do that again .
    paul78 wrote: »
    Is the volume with the SAM encrypted? If it's encrypted you won't be able to recover the OS.

What are you trying to actually recover? It may be simpler to reinstall the OS to recover any files and documents. But that assumes that the files and documents are on an un-encrypted volume.

It's my understanding that chntpw will work with Windows 10 SAM database. What kind of problems are you getting?
    i lost my new login password ,and i want to recover it back ,It would be a big loss for me to reinstall the OS.
    casrey wrote: »
    Which can only be used to crack the locked computer , maybe you did something wrong, you can do that again .
    I tried and tried .
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I tried and tried .

Try this video...it might help.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    i lost my new login password ,and i want to recover it back ,It would be a big loss for me to reinstall the OS.
    You are going to have to offer a bit more than that if you expect any assistance. This community is for technology professionals but there is willingness to help in case someone else needs that information.

I assume from your responses that your have minimal proficiency with technology. Reinstalling the OS would not necessarily remove any of your files but it depends on several factors which you do not seem to wish to share. What exactly would be a big loss? Reinstalling the OS and then reinstalling the applications is a valid recovery option to get at the files and document when a password cannot be reset.

Have you tried these videos - Reseting Windows 10 Videos

If you are just trolling - I suggest you head over to Reddit.
  • PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Are you using a local user account or a Microsoft account? If it's a Microsoft account, you can recover those online (https://account.live.com/password/reset) and I don't think it's possible to get those using the NT password cracking tool (I may be wrong there). If it's a local account, the Offline NT Password tool or OPHCRACK should work. If not, I'm not sure if those tools allow larger word lists, but there are some huge word lists as well as rainbow tables made from passwords from previous breaches. That may take a lot more effort to get working. I have a few various word lists on an install with one being 50GB in size, so they can get huge. But, that's on a dedicated laptop and not a live CD.

How much effort are you wanting to put into getting into the machine? At some point, you may find it's quicker and easier to backup everything and reinstall Windows 10 then restore things back.
  • shannonzkshannonzk Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anonymouse wrote: »
    Offline NT Password is like the most straightforward tool ever. I'd do it for a 6-pack if you were local to me.

Failed on Toshiba Windows 10 laptop twice. However, works well on Dell and HP. It is weird.
    shanmonzk wrote: »
    Failed on Toshiba Windows 10 laptop twice. However, works well on Dell and HP. It is weird.
    I learned from their website that they were able to do this, tests on Windows 7 computers were successful, but nothing worked on Windows 10 ,What OS do Dell and HP run .
    casrey wrote: »
    I learned from their website that they were able to do this, tests on Windows 7 computers were successful, but nothing worked on Windows 10 ,What OS do Dell and HP run .
    Read them carefully : https://www.lifewire.com/free-windows-password-recovery-tools-2626179
    https://www.recoverywindowspassword.com/bypass-windows-10-8-7-login-password.html
    https://www.passfolk.com/
  • shannonzkshannonzk Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    paul78 wrote:
    Yeah - probably the Offline NT Password editor - Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor

@OP - if you want help, there are plenty of people here willing to help. I assume that you realize that the Offline NT Password tool is not a password cracker. It works by mounting the volume using a different OS (linux) and it has tools to edit the SAM database directly. It's actually a very straight-forward technique.

The obvious drawback to this approach is that you must have physical access to the OS volume and the volume cannot be encrypted. If it's encrypted, you are out of luck and you can actually render the encrypted volume inaccessible if you muck it up.

How to check if the disk was encrypted or not? in BIOS settings?
    shannonzk wrote: »
    How to check if the disk was encrypted or not? in BIOS settings?
    An encrypted volume will typically have a signature on it. That signature depends on the encryption mechanism. If you attempt to mount it and it's encrypted or corrupt, usually you will get an error.

It is not a bios setting.
  • DaskeryDaskery Member Posts: 7 ■■□□□□□□□□
    edited February 2019
    Sometimes,we can even log into your locked computer without password,some password unlocking tools can do that

• aron90saron90s Member Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @shannonzk Hi! just unplug the hard drive and connect it to another PC as slave. If your drive is encrypted, all files inside the drive are inaccessible or Windows may prompt you to format the drive when you double-click it.
  • aron90saron90s Member Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Daskery said:
    Sometimes,we can even log into your locked computer without password or tool.
    work with Windows 10?