how would you troubleshoot for printers not working?

DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
What would your troubleshooting process be for printers not working on a network?

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    any error codes on the printer? How are the connections? Does rebooting help? What are the error messages from the users' computers? etc...etc..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    is it using static IP or DHCP? Once you know what the IP is, you can use web interface (http/https) to configure it.
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    First, test page (are they functional?). Then, basic CCNA troubleshooting for an IP host: pure IP connectivity (DHCP, IP routing, ACLs, different VLANs), DNS if used, particular port they are on connectivity (9100?). Then application layer/drivers stuff.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This sounds like the most generic helpdesk interview question... I'm assuming that is why you are asking?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    1. print to PDF
    2. close ticket
    3. profit?
  • ansionnachclisteansionnachcliste Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    1. print to PDF
    2. close ticket
    3. profit?

Such a CISSP response :D.
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned to check the print spooler yet...
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Definitely need more information!
    What OS and printer?
    Was it working before?
    Is the correct driver installed?
    Local or network printer?
    If network: is the correct print server being used? How's the network connection for the PC and printer?
    If local: Has printing been paused? In windows OS: right click on the printer icon in CP> choose "see what's print?"> Printer> uncheck pause printing
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "Office Space" that printer
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
    McxRisley wrote: »
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned to check the print spooler yet...

I'm surprised so many are answering this question seriously. icon_wink.gif

Maybe somebody other than the OP can use the information.
    kaiju wrote: »
    Maybe somebody other than the OP can use the information.

There are so many variables that would go into this that Google would be 100x more helpful and quicker... Come on now.... icon_rolleyes.gif I pray no one actually uses this forum as a troubleshooting step for these types of issues. (obvious interview question)
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Intervie wor not, my only beef with the question is that it lacks context. It reminds me of why I left most LinkedIn tech groups. People used to ask "what is the best solution for X" and then people would randomly answer without knowing anything about the environment, budget, etc.

Smart questions get smart answers. Simple.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hello, this is TechExams' helpdesk. Did you try turning it off and back on again?
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
    Maybe it has a bad flux capacitor?

Or

I can be prissy and say .........

Nope! I will not go there!
  • DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There's a lot of stupid stuff that can prevent a printer from printing and most have been addressed in the thread. Here's a fun fact to show how weird this problem can get. On Canon MFPs you can have BOOTP and DHCP or MANUAL both checked as "ON" in the configuration. This will cause you problems and its very easy to not notice.

I suppose from the view of a person being asked in an interview you should probably start with simple and quick. I hate these questions because they are to simple and the interviewer could be looking for something very specific that they consider every tech should know. A good tech might have a good list of things to check in their head, but should be able to troubleshoot effectively.

I think a better question would be, "lets walk through troubleshooting a printer won't print issue and lets take it as far as you can". This would allow a tech to show what they know about the problem at hand and how they work through a problem. It would give some good insight to basic network troubleshooting, etc.

I actually just came back to my office from troubleshooting this exact situation. I was the third tech on site and the client had been down for a month. The helpdesk is basically worthless and hopes the sub contracted tech on site will figure it out eventually. Well today it paid off. I heard the place had just been remodeled so the first thing I did was use a cable toner to find the cable. Next I checked with their level 2 team to find out that the cable was in the wrong switch port. Moved it to the correct one and we got connectivity!!
  • Nik 99Nik 99 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Could I throw in a troubleshooting question too? This came up during a phone interview and just like to know how you lot would answer it.

How would you troubleshoot a application that after being run / double clicked failed to launch?

I answered that I'd check event viewer logs, do internet research and check the knowledge base. My interviewer did point out that I could also look at any logs this application generated in it's program files (I forgot about that opps).
  • albinorhino187albinorhino187 Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Could also check task manager to see if it's already running or hung.
    CCIE RS - Written (Goal: July 2019) [ ] Lab [ ]
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■

I love surveys and random questions with no context. It's like playing trivial pursuit icon_smile.gif
    DoubleD wrote:
    What would your troubleshooting process be for printers not working on a network?

Step 1 - is printer turned on?
    Step 2 - is there paper in the printer?
    Step 3 - is there toner/ink in the printer?

I prefer to start with the simple stuff because most problems are usually the obvious head-slapper.
  • DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    paul78 wrote: »
    I love surveys and random questions with no context. It's like playing trivial pursuit icon_smile.gif

Step 1 - is printer turned on?
    Step 2 - is there paper in the printer?
    Step 3 - is there toner/ink in the printer?

I prefer to start with the simple stuff because most problems are usually the obvious head-slapper.

I think the question implies that it is a network related problem as they imply that there are more than one printer that is problematic!
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Have you considered retaking or perhaps re-reading an A+ study guide? They teach printers and the basic troubleshooting process in that IIRC.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yoba222 wrote: »
    Have you considered retaking or perhaps re-reading an A+ study guide? They teach printers and the basic troubleshooting process in that IIRC.

Well No as I said before the question was aimed at Network printers and goes above the A Plus Objectives and it is not really covered in the A Plus. But I am studying MTA Networking Fundamentals at the moment hopefully I can pick up some nuggets in there.
  • PantherPanther Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Is this for exam or real world?

Exam:
    What type of answers does the exam want.
    I guess reference practice exams to know.

Real world:
    What's your role?
    Help desk? Are you timed?
    If so, tell user reboot printer/computer, or swap cables. Call back. Ticket "resolved". Your metrics look good!

Who is the user?
    VIP?
    Do whatever it takes to get it resolved.
    Tell everyone else you are dealing with a VIP issue; they will know the hierarchy and understand.

Soooo, depends on context.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    1. Can others print to the printer.
    2. print test page, does it have an IP address?
    3. Can you ping IP address?
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.