Options

Which cables used for network devices

M_BoydM_Boyd Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Perhaps someone could clarify what cables to use for what in attaching itself to hubs, nics, switches, routers......

On the cisco online text it has
Use straight-through cables for the following cabling:

Switch to router
Switch to PC or server
Hub to PC or server
Use crossover cables for the following cabling:

Switch to switch
Switch to hub
Hub to hub
Router to router
PC to PC
Router to PC

Figure illustrates how a variety of cable types may be required in a given network. The category of UTP cable required is based on the type of Ethernet that is chosen.

Is there a better way rather than memorisation of these ?

I understand that if a nic card has 1+2 and 3+6 to connect two PCs NIC cards together the recieve and send would be in the same place so you would need to switch over the cables hence a crossover cable. Do hubs and switches have it around the other way so that the recieve and send is in the right place for a st8 through cable ?

Or am I off the beaten track because the cisco text ain't too clear here....

Thanks for your time ?

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    M_Boyd wrote:
    Is there a better way rather than memorisation of these ?

The best way to remember this is to use the wrong cable in real-life scenario ;) But, you could start by memorizing that if the device are the same (PC-PC, switch-switch, etc,) you need to use a crossover cable. Also, normally, you would attach a hub or a switch to a router's ethernet interface, but if you don't you need a crossover as well.
    M_Boyd wrote:
    I understand that if a nic card has 1+2 and 3+6 to connect two PCs NIC cards together the recieve and send would be in the same place so you would need to switch over the cables hence a crossover cable. Do hubs and switches have it around the other way so that the recieve and send is in the right place for a st8 through cable ?
    Exactly.

An important cable type missing in the list is rollover, which is used for the connection to the console port.