thoughts on NetAcad CCNP courses ?

metalmaniametalmania Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
Gd morning all.

My local community college offers NetAcad CCNP online courses. Each course runs a full semester (~16 weeks long).

Anyone have any experience with these particular CCNP courses via NetAcad, online or in-person ?

I'm undecided between going the NetAcad route vs. self-study.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When I took the CCNA class the part I liked the most was the packet tracer assignments. The rest of the class was OK but it mostly forced you to do the work yourself. I don't have any experience with the CCNP classes but I would assume it's about the same.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What is current knowledge/experience level? If you know what you're doing I'd go for self study and save the money. If you're more of a beginner the structured classes might be useful.

I don't have experience with this particular course though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I 2nd what networker said. If you have a background in networking with a CCNA. Self study would be fine. But if you are someone who had a CCNA for over 2 years and haven't applied it in the real world during that time attending the class may help you get back into groove and the mindset. But then again its an online CCNA netcad course so don't know if its a death by powerpoint which would mean i'd save my money and do the self study.
  • skwira001skwira001 Member Posts: 94 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It might be cheaper than what I am about to introduce you to. Cisco offers the Cisco Learning Network. Cisco Networking Academy is only for CCNA, CCNP, and CCNA Security. The Cisco Learning Network Store has basically everything. Plus they have all the hands on things you need as well. Plus the labs are graded. And I think the price of taking the exam is included, but check on that. https://learningnetworkstore.cisco.com/
  • skwira001skwira001 Member Posts: 94 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    When I took the CCNA class the part I liked the most was the packet tracer assignments. The rest of the class was OK but it mostly forced you to do the work yourself. I don't have any experience with the CCNP classes but I would assume it's about the same.

CCNP will not use Packet Tracer because Packet Tracer doesn't have enough features. Typically they give you a pod to work on remotely.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I used to be a NETACAD instructor. The last time I had access to the materials. The courseware was just tests and labs. Peer made slides were available. Cisco pushed the Netacad to create pods for the student (though you could just give them a rack and make them learn cabling, manipulating the software). The student or school had to use the foundational learning guides vice cert guide.

The value is the access to the labs (if they have the equipment to practice on) and possibly instructor experience plus the exams to gauge your learning.

The learning network is another option.

You could also just buy the certification guides or foundational w the lab guides and spin up EVE or GNS3.