Options

prepping for the switch exam

clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have been studying for the switch exam. And, I've been matching my notes with the exam topics.

I've noticed that some training materials include topics that aren't listed on the exam topics.
such as uplinkfast and backbonefast. while not an explicit exam topic, stp is
and ntp and snmp while not explicit exam topics, could be include included in infrastructure security

and there is always the "other related topics may also appear on any specific version of the exam" statement

So, has anyone else come across other such "could be included" topics in there studying?

and how about ipv6? my ipv6 is pretty rusty and not exam ready. but, I haven't seen much on the switch exam that needs ipv6 knowledge. there are ipv6 sdm templates and fhrp versions for ipv6. but my training material don't really include any ipv6.

I was going to address my ipv6 short comings while studying protocols versions for ipv6 with the router exam.

Will I need much ipv6 for the switch exam?

Comments

• Options
    Chris.Mackenzie01Chris.Mackenzie01 Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Curious about this myself, I did the CCNA v3 which included more IPv6. But I feel like the CCNP Switch hasnt caught up. Certainly in the OCG and Multiple video sets I've been watching, Ipv6 has only been very briefly touched on.
  • Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welly_59 wrote: »
    The contents seem pretty straightforward

I know what you mean. I started studying for this saying this is just the ccna with a few extra topics added, going to be a piece of cake.

3 months later with 33 pages of notes that I'm not finished with yet, I'm just about ready to start labbing.
  • Options
    SheHateMeSheHateMe Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ive been reading the OCG and all those topics are covered. So, I just assume that if its in the book, it might be on the test regardless of what the objectives say.

I guess that is the safest way to think about it. Luckily, Uplinkfast and Backbonefast are super easy to understand as well as STP (for me), NTP, and SNMP.
  • Options
    sidninjasidninja Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    so far, everything i have seen for Switch might come up - i'm nearly done with the OCG book, so best to safe than sorry.
    Always keep learning and have a positive attitude - never be rude or insulting and you will be blessed.
    Have faith in God and you can't go wrong.
    Connect with me on LinkedIn if you want - https://www.linkedin.com/in/sidbloodsaw/
    :cool:
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have seen expanded blueprint topics within the test. So for example if on the outline it says just to describe something. Some training vod or book would just give a high level description but come test time its asking you to decipher the show commands. I'd recommend when something says describe to know how to implement it and read show commands.
  • Options
    passed switch this morning! - here is my study notes mapped with objectives
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/11oWaiCOLxwCvZvmvYdY1AvULF-6W-a37YIcqMjqszqI/edit?usp=sharing
    wasnt buggy at all as some people say.

started and passed in a month's time.
    Always keep learning and have a positive attitude - never be rude or insulting and you will be blessed.
    Connect with me on LinkedIn if you want - https://www.linkedin.com/in/sidbloodsaw/
  • Options
    Chris.Mackenzie01Chris.Mackenzie01 Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    Taken a copy of your notes to compare to mine when finished icon_lol.gif. Wanted to sit my exam by the time of my 30th birthday but had about 20% the time I was expecting to have.
  • Options
    Let me know how it goes! :) route is next for me !