Options

SANS Live Course for Jobs and Networking

GOGONUT2KGOGONUT2K Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I am planning to take a SANS course (FOR50icon_cool.gif and I will pay for myself.

My question to those of you who attended a SANS course is: Have you seen any benefits from having the course live ? Like networking, being referred for specific positions or even recruited ? Is there any advantage from this point of view ?

Since I am paying for myself i want to know if it is really worth to pay the extra travel expenses or I should go with the online version of the course.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My benefits from the live course:

- being out of the office for a week
    - great lunches
    - NetWars
    - Wednesday social night

I didn't network much because I just hung out with my colleagues that were also taking SANS courses, but you definitely could network.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've done both, lunch wasn't paid for, so unless it's very close add 6-7 nights of a hotel, 3 meals a day, travel, it adds up. With that said, it was a great experience vs doing on demand, but the material really is the same. I met a few new people but nothing life changing, it's not really a place where you should expect to be recruited as everyone is there for the same reason you are, not looking to hire staff.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    My 6 courses have been live, instructor led. To me the biggest value other than the content is networking with students and instructors. The side conversations during the breaks are always golden. For that reason I wouldn’t do OnDemand or vLive.
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Learning live for me is better than out of classroom, mainly because I'm engaged in the conversation and I can ask a question right then and there for clarification.
    I also won an ipod nano :D

Networking, I didn't get into that as I didn't know about the social nights that they had. I'm going to another sans training event next week so I will attempt to do more networking than my first sans event in vegas last year.