Options

Problem with desktop computer

skivesskives Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
Ok first off I am using my laptop if anyone is wondering. Last night I used my desktop just fine and went to bed. this morning I got up and the computer was running but my monitor wouldn't come on. The power on it was on it cause the power button was flashing on and off. I tried restarting my computer but that didn't work either. I also tried a different monitor and that didn't work. I usually leave my computer on all the time. If anyone could help me out I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
John

Comments

• Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    Are you sure it is not in hibernation mode?

Make sure the video card is seated correctly and free fron "Dust Bunnies".

Try a different video card.
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    made sure it was in good and free of dust. still nothing
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    What make and model of computer (or motherboard) is it? What does the manual say a flashing power light indicates for that system? It does sound like the computer is in stand-by or hibernation mode. Are there any BIOS errors when the system boots?
  • Options
    The system was in standby mode cause my monitor shuts down after 20 mins. it is a dell dimension 4500 computer. it just wouldn't turn back on.
  • Options
    SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Assuming here you got nothing. Not even POST after you reboot?

Is the monitor light ever solid or continual flashing?

Can you boot in safe mode or using boot cd/disk?

[
    Edit -
    Does your PC actually boot? or atleast seem to without errors/beeps etc?
    &
    When you tested othe monitor did you swap cable (if possible)?
    ]
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • Options
    so I tried my dads video from his computer and my monitor works fine now. So does that mean my video card is junk?
  • Options
    kujayhawk93kujayhawk93 Member Posts: 355
    skives wrote:
    so I tried my dads video from his computer and my monitor works fine now. So does that mean my video card is junk?
    Or your dad's video card is junk, depending on whether or not he knows you switched them out... icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    KhattabKhattab Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Try calling dell..... they should be able to give you a hand.... they're usually good when it comes to the 'simple' problems....

Usually when the pc goes into sleep/stand by, you gotta press a couple of buttons to wake it up.... on some machines, you even gotta press the power button.... depends on the make/model though
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    I had this problem on a few DELL's at the job and it was a faulty power supply.

Switch out the PSU.
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    jescab wrote:
    I had this problem on a few DELL's at the job and it was a faulty power supply.

Switch out the PSU.
    Yeah, if you have unplugged all the peripheral devices and replaced the video card and it still doesn't boot, it's likely a blown motherboard or a bad PSU.
  • Options
    system boots fine with a new video card. So it is just my video that is shot.