OI! What did you do with your material after getting certified?

JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
I just pulled up all my books from SEC504 and they are pretty beat up from me marking them up and such.

Do you do anything with your books or just store them as is? I would like to keep them but they will be falling apart soon.

Comments

• LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well, most of my books are in electronic format, so I have them still on my tablet. Otherwise, my hard copy books I still have most of them, a couple I left behind so soldiers can use them to study.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There's a pretty impressive layer of dust on my books. They are exactly where I left them after I took the exam years ago. I really need to clean up my office.
  • JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Haha. Maybe I will just leave them as is and place them on the bookshelf for reference when/if needed
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I keep all of my materials in a drawer in the SOC room for my colleagues to borrow. Sometimes I need to reference them for some activities. All of my SANS and ISACA books are here for anyone that is interested.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • LionelTeoLionelTeo Member Posts: 526 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Unfortunately, thanks to the first page of the book license agreement, there is little that you can do about it. :O
    I would really love to take them all apart, tab them out and get them all bound together into one book.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Jasiono wrote: »
    I would really love to take them all apart, tab them out and get them all bound together into one book.

Why didn't I ever think about that bowing.gif
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • futurehendrixfuturehendrix Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I threw them in the backseat of my car while blasting my music at ignorant levels while leaving the testing center with a bleep eating grin on my face.

Two months later, they're still there....somewhere.
  • sb97sb97 Member Posts: 109
    GICSP and GCIA books are buried in a closet (GCIA was very useful but I rarely work with IPS/IDS data except for tuning at this point). GCFE and GCFA books are closer to hand because I do occasionally reference them. GCTI books are still in the bag I used to take them to the testing center except the lab book. I used that to demonstrate a tool I wanted to bring into our SOC.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    After 6 SANS courses and two cert renewals I have never revisited books and they sit somewhere in my basement. I usually take good notes of items of interest so that's why I haven't touched them.
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Brought my GIAC, ISC2 and ISACA books to work place and placed in a corner for reference. As my company pays us additional monthly allowance for certain certifications, colleagues started borrowing them for self study. Months later, none of my colleagues have taken any exams. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,228 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mike7 wrote: »
    Months later, none of my colleagues have taken any exams. icon_rolleyes.gif

Same here! I have no idea why these guys still ask to borrow my books.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • eillinois31eillinois31 Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just pulled up all my books from SEC504 and they are pretty beat up from me marking them up and such.

Do you do anything with your books or just store them as is? I would like to keep them but they will be falling apart soon.

Most of mine are in PDF format format and I use a program called ubooquity to access them. If I never need a reference as it's impossible to remember everything, just a website away.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    Well, most of my books are in electronic format, so I have them still on my tablet. Otherwise, my hard copy books I still have most of them, a couple I left behind so soldiers can use them to study.

What exactly do you mean "most of my books are in electronic format"? Outside of instructors, no one has a electronic version of the SANS course books, unless you scanned / copied the pages to make them an electronic format.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□

The would make one BIG book. If I did that to all my books, the book would be about 3 feet high.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    TechGromit wrote: »
    What exactly do you mean "most of my books are in electronic format"? Outside of instructors, no one has a electronic version of the SANS course books, unless you scanned / copied the pages to make them an electronic format.

Hence the term MOST, it means majority of. Under no English dictionary that I can find, does it mean all of them.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    TechGromit wrote: »
    The would make one BIG book. If I did that to all my books, the book would be about 3 feet high.

I think he means for each course, so unbinding each individual SEC504 book and then having them all bound together into a single book.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    Yeah, not all SANS books, but for each course being bound into that course book.
    I didn't realize that they send you the new material upon renewing your cert. That's nice!
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    I think he means for each course, so unbinding each individual SEC504 book and then having them all bound together into a single book.
    Where would you even find a big enough binding? With each book being 150+ pages, the biggest binding I think I ever saw was maybe 400 pages.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    This bad boy takes an average of 1300 pages.

An then there's this.

Group buy for which one?

Yes, it's a slow Friday at my office.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Haha I guess I was thinking more of the paper comb style not a full on binder.
  • Randy_RandersonRandy_Randerson Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I keep them at the office for a reference guide if I ever need them. My indices are pretty in-depth for tool use and specific concepts. Those reside on my iPad for quick reference when traveling on scene for anything.