Passed the SYO-501 recently

WillannemWillannem Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just barely squeaked by the SYO-501 (needed a 750 and got a 753) but that had to do with me barely studying for it more than the difficulty of the test. To give a little background, I completed my Network+ back in May and my A+ a few months before it. Quite a bit of the material in the Security+ has already been discussed in the A+ and Net+ but just with more detail in the Sec+. If you follow the recommended path, I think by the time you get to Security+, you'll have a better understanding of the concepts and an easier time picking things up. I just recommend adequate study time. I only gave it about 2 1/2 weeks. A solid month (2 hours a day) would have been better. My background in electronics has an IT bleed in that allowed me to pick up the information a bit better than someone fresh to the information, also. I shortchanged my study time for both the A+ and Network+ and passed those but I still wish I gave them more study time.

As for study materials, I used TestOut for study and uCertify for practice tests. I'm a student at WGU so I have access to both. They prefer you to use uCertify, but if you ask, they'll give you access to TestOut. I highly recommend TestOut. For one, the test didn't ask me any questions that TestOut didn't cover, material wise. Also, you get quite a bit of hands on practice with TestOut that you wouldn't normally get. Their simulators are pretty good. The only reason I used uCertify for practice tests was because I wanted to see how well TestOut would prepare me for the actual test and I figured a good measure would be to use practice tests from a different source than study material. As I said before, I think Testout did an adequate job. The only fault was with the amount of time I devoted to studying. 2 hours per day for a month should get you through the study material and a week or so with practice tests should prepare you for the exam. Of course, there are variables (background, distractions, etc.).

Anyways, I hope my input helps someone looking for information about the SYO-501 and study materials.

Comments

• phariuspharius Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Brave_heartBrave_heart Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
    icon_thumright.gifCongratulations!
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• D20D20 Member Posts: 124 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!!
    Certifications: A+ Sec+ isc(2) CC Google Cybersecurity Certification 2024 Goals: Pass the Network+ Exam
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • 2sppandey2sppandey Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats for your achievement. I just passed my Network+ and starting Security+ now. Which book would you recommend?
  • WillannemWillannem Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
    2sppandey wrote: »
    Congrats for your achievement. I just passed my Network+ and starting Security+ now. Which book would you recommend?

Congrats on passing the Nework+. The Network+ materials cover a significant portion of the Security+ so you should absorb the material much easier than not having done the Network+.

I can't give you an honest opinion of what book to use. I used TestOut to prep for the course.
  • nicoletteannicolettean Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!
    2018 Goals - AWS Certified Solutions Architect

Linkedin Profile : https://www.linkedin.com/in/andrew-nicolette-454721109/
  • RinzlerRinzler Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats, sir. icon_cheers.gif
  • jazz_01jazz_01 Member Posts: 65 ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited September 2019
    Congratulations! :)