New to IT filed getting Certs but hit a road block

AmcelweeAmcelwee Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am enrolled in a local community college's Network Administration program. I am about 2 years in, I have multiple certification already ( CompTia A+, Security+ MTA: Device and Mobility Fundamentals, Server Administration Fundamentals, and CCENT) I am currently studying, and took the 70-742 today, did not pass. I have taken the 70-740, twice already, did not pass but close.

I've hit a road block, the studying and prep I have been doing isn't going as far as it use to, I have looked around on this site, found some good resources but there is a lot. Which resources would you recommend, focusing on 70-742 and 70-740?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Amcelwee wrote: »
    I am enrolled in a local community college's Network Administration program. I am about 2 years in, I have multiple certification already ( CompTia A+, Security+ MTA: Device and Mobility Fundamentals, Server Administration Fundamentals, and CCENT) I am currently studying, and took the 70-742 today, did not pass. I have taken the 70-740, twice already, did not pass but close.

I've hit a road block, the studying and prep I have been doing isn't going as far as it use to, I have looked around on this site, found some good resources but there is a lot. Which resources would you recommend, focusing on 70-742 and 70-740?

Thanks in advance.

Do you have access to CBT Nuggets, ITPro TV or Pluralsight? And what study materials such as books do you have?
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There's a Microsoft area to the forums, have you looked there?
  • EagerDinosaurEagerDinosaur Member Posts: 114
    Do you have the official Microsoft Exam Reference books for the exams? Those tend to be good quality and reasonably priced.

I haven't taken any of the exams you've taken, but some of the 70-xxx Microsoft exams are pretty tough, particularly for people who haven't taken any Microsoft exams recently. If they contain "case studies" that cannot be reviewed later, that makes time-management tricky. I struggled to pass the first few Microsoft exams I took after a 10 year break from exams, but they got easier after that.
  • AmcelweeAmcelwee Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The study materials I am using for the 70-742 are the Microsoft Official Academic Course e-book for the 70-742 exam and measureup. As for the 70-740 I am using Measureup and Testout.

I have access to CBT Nuggets, ITPro TV and Pluralsight in that I have the internet at home, I don't have account. What I have done until now worked, so I am searching for a new way to study for the exams. I would also like to subscribe to one sight that would help me with both tests. I have to pay for testout for school again with the CCNA class so paying for multiple exam prep sites would be tough.

I have looked through the Microsoft forum, admittedly a small amount, and I have seen where people have used the above site. Just wondering if there is a consensus on which one could be better.

Thanks again for the advice!
  • malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As I mentioned in some of my post here MCSA 2016 / MCSE 2016 Forums <
    You get better response here to be honest.

https://www.edx.org/course?search_query=server+2016 is a good source I used for 70-742. For 70-740 I used Pluralsight at first but then CBT Nuggets when they had completed their 70-740 material. So I suggest CBT Nuggets combined with EDX as it has direct links to Technet documentation.

ITPro TV goes in heavy with everything compared to CBT Nuggets, I prefer CBT Nuggets over all because they hit the exam objectives in order, so its easy to follow along side the blue print. But for you, I suggest ITPro TV because when I was doing 70-742, I used ITPro TV and CBT Nuggets, CBT Nuggets seems rushed towards the end. Which has been made up by documentation but ITPro TV covered these in greater details, that helped alot.

Another reason why I strongly suggest ITPro is when the videos had been created for 70-742 a big part of the exam objectives had changed in November 2017. It looks miner on the blue print but I was ask questions around it both times when I did the exam. What is weird, those changes are actually in ITPro TV 70-744 Securing Server 2016confused.png and its not in the exam objectives for 70-744 either. CBT Nuggets or Pluralsight does not over the 70-744 exam. So I suggest watching the video section on Credentials and Privileged Access in ITPro TV 70-744, which will help you on some of the question I came across when I did my 70-742 exam.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Do you have any sort of lab setup? It usually helps to try and implement what you are learning on test machines.

For me I have been scheduling two tries for each exam. The first one I take after I have covered the material once. I consider this my practice exam and then I schedule a second attempt about a month later which I attempt to actually pass. I do this partly to force my timetable but also I think there is no better experience then the real test so I build a practice try into my study plan.

I have personally enjoyed CBT Nuggets. No video series will give you everything you need but the structure of their courses work for me. Unfortunately they are expensive so it is not an option for everyone.

My basic plan is usually the same for most exams.
    1 - watch a video series like CBT Nuggets from start to finish.
    2 - Buy two books.
    3 - Read the first book.
    4 - Schedule and take the exam the first time.
    5 - Watch the video series again and read the second book at the same time.
    6 - Take the exam a second time with the intention of passing.

Please note that I never follow this completely and I mix lab setups into every part of the study. For me doing the hands on is more important then any other step. The one thing I found with the 70-740 was the user interface info was not very useful. You need a good idea of the commands that are required to do everything.

Good Luck!
    Jon
  • AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So, traditionally remember that Microsoft staff does NOT use Microsoft Press books on studying for their exams. So here is my way of doing exam prep... use or don't use, but it works for me. :D

Pre-Req: these days I have an Amazon Fire for this, long ago it was a regular Kindle. The app has a mode to read to you.

0. I read the exam requirements. Yes, I forgot this so made it 0.
    1. Buy an ebook on the topic (probably Sybex, its what MS uses).
    2. I read the book.
    3. I have the Fire/Kindle read me the book when I am able to split attention or when audio doesn't matter. I do this three to five times.
    4. I do labs if technical. Lots of labs.
    5. I take mini classes on the web, all that I can, for free. These could be technet labs (back on Sept 17) or finding courses like mentioned on edx.
    6. I hit youtube and go through my bucket list of installation step by steps that I may have missed.
    7. I read the forums for issues and solutions.
    8. Find some practice questions, and take them. Over and over. Yes, you will know them, but the idea is to learn the idea and not the answer only. DON'T ****!
    9. I grab an audible book if one is there... and listen.
    10. I listen to the whole main text again.
    10-B. If the book allows it, and I have a problem area, I focus on those using wordrunner and go into them very focused.
    11. Sleep well before the test, and do it first thing in the morning.
    12. Count the number of questions you know you got wrong during the test. Don't panic, work from that negative and go back ONLY to those you KNOW you got wrong.

I hope this helps. I know failing a test is daunting, and sadly, we all run into it. But please don't be discouraged. And ask for help here. Or PM people. We all want to build our community.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog