iPad Profile/Password Recover

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
Daughter has a profile, forgot the email address password and the login in code to get into the iPad. Any experience this? No good way to wipe it that I am aware of.

Kind of sad having this nice little mini just laying around......

My wife has tried several methods but no dice.

Comments

• paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yeah - same thing happened with my kid's iPad a couple of years ago. Spouse and kid took it to the Apple store and they said that there were no recovery methods and they factory reset the thing.
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    paul78 wrote: »
    Yeah - same thing happened with my kid's iPad a couple of years ago. Spouse and kid took it to the Apple store and they said that there were no recovery methods and they factory reset the thing.

Did they do it at the store or did you do it with some tool or code?
    They did it at the store as I recall.
  • PlsRestartPlsRestart Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is ipad assigned to appleid? If so i don`t recommend factory reset becasue after factory reset you may stuck on welcome screen with question about your appleid and password for it, so if you have passcode for lock screen its good option to check you appleid account and try to reset password to it, You can do it via ipad or webpage. Reset can be done via settings or itunes
    I took it to the apple store and they said they couldn't wipe it....... I'm done, paper weight it is.
    I took it to the apple store and they said they couldn't wipe it....... I'm done, paper weight it is.

Ouch. That's weird - I thought there was a way to do it what involves connecting the thing up using iTunes app or something like that.
    Ouch. That's weird - I thought there was a way to do it what involves connecting the thing up using iTunes app or something like that.

Daughter lost her email password...... infinite loop
    Yeah - try this - I think that you enter the password wrong 10 times - it will lock the iPad and disable it. Once it's disabled, you can try this process here - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

You may have to create a new iTunes acct
  • PlsRestartPlsRestart Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    is her appleid linked to other devices? small advice go to itunes store and App Store in settings and try to log off her from there, if it will ask for password try to reset it. Remember, there are several reset options. If you will try via security questions you need to enter answers with cap letters when they were entered. You can call apple and try reset password with guy via phone good thing with this option is you dont care about cap letters.

GL and dont give up, in my company i have managed to reset password a lot of times with email address only
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would recommend reading this article.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I’ve been passively following this thread and find it absolutely crazy that there’s no way around your issue. I am about to try the wipes described here on my iPad because even though I don’t care about Apple, I refuse to believe they would let a device become a brick so easy like that.
    stryder144 wrote: »
    I would recommend reading this article.

This didn't work, thanks for posting.

Daughter has a email, doesn't know the password to the email. We don't have the password to the iPad, she forget it. The reset features sends a confirmation email for logon to the email that we no longer have.

Infinite Loop.

Itunes was useless.....

Device is officially a brick.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This didn't work, thanks for posting.

Daughter has a email, doesn't know the password to the email. We don't have the password to the iPad, she forget it. The reset features sends a confirmation email for logon to the email that we no longer have.

Infinite Loop.

Itunes was useless.....

Device is officially a brick.

Hey, that's what happened with my wife's iPad. Useless expensive brick.
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I’ve been passively following this thread and find it absolutely crazy that there’s no way around your issue. I am about to try the wipes described here on my iPad because even though I don’t care about Apple, I refuse to believe they would let a device become a brick so easy like that.

That's how they've gotten to be a trillion dollar company. People buy a newer version of the same phone every year. Why not tablets?
  • PantherPanther Member Posts: 118 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why Blackberry was wonderful during its time.
    It came with enterprise mobile device management and it made managing (locked) devices easy.

We had iPads/iPhones brought in, and whenever someone left the company (who had used their personal email address with the iPad), we had to track down the person who left, hoping they'll help us out. Kind of crazy. So then we started requiring company email addresses, and that helped a bit, as long as the email address wasn't deleted yet.
  • williebwillieb Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We have 5 iPhones & 4 iPads so I'm pretty familiar with this. If you can't reset the iCloud password in some way then you are more than likely out of luck. Even if you don't have access to the email there should be other ways such as a mobile phone #, secret questions/answers, etc.

Assuming the iPad is tied to an iCloud account, my questions would be:

Why doesn't she/you have access to the email? You can't reset the password to the email used for the iCloud account? Or do you not know exactly what the email address is? Is this email not used with any other device or for any other reason where you could find out what the email address is?
    [X] CCENT ICND1 100-105
    [X] CCNA ICND2 200-105
    [X] CCNP ROUTE 300-101
    [X] CCNP SWITCH 300-115
    [X] CCNP TSHOOT 300-135
    [ ] CCDP ARCH 300-320
    I am entirely mystified and baffled that it is not possible to factory reset an iPad. Wow!

Are you guys saying that these Apple factory reset procedures using recovery mode will not work if the iPad has been synced with ITunes?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204306
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252
    https://smallbusiness.chron.com/wipe-ipad-factory-settings-passcode-55572.html

It was my understanding that you don't actually need the iTunes account.
    You can factory reset it all day long with iTunes, but you will still need the iCloud email and password that's linked to the device to unlock it.

It's a security feature that Apple came up with a few years back to help stop theft. People steal them anyway, but they aren't worth near as much if they are iCloud account locked. You will see them all over eBay. They can be sold for their screens, batteries, etc.

If you ever sign in to iCloud on an Apple device, you better write it down somewhere. In some cases, knowing the email account used is more important than knowing the password.

There are other ways to reset the iTunes account, but you do need to know what the account is that was used on the device.
    [X] CCENT ICND1 100-105
    [X] CCNA ICND2 200-105
    [X] CCNP ROUTE 300-101
    [X] CCNP SWITCH 300-115
    [X] CCNP TSHOOT 300-135
    [ ] CCDP ARCH 300-320
    Infinite Loop

Tried two stores and their associates read everything out there..... This device is completely useless.....

They have full control of the device and if it falls outside their process you are SOL.

Infact Apple devices aren't devices they are appliances.....
    willieb wrote: »
    You can factory reset it all day long with iTunes, but you will still need the iCloud email and password that's linked to the device to unlock it.

It's a security feature that Apple came up with a few years back to help stop theft. People steal them anyway, but they aren't worth near as much if they are iCloud account locked. You will see them all over eBay. They can be sold for their screens, batteries, etc.

If you ever sign in to iCloud on an Apple device, you better write it down somewhere. In some cases, knowing the email account used is more important than knowing the password.

There are other ways to reset the iTunes account, but you do need to know what the account is that was used on the device.

You my friend provided the best solution..... Sell it on EBay for the parts, that's all it's worth....
    Yes I read the entire thread including your last response before I posted. You didn't provide enough info (or not specific enough), hence my questions.

You stated you don't have the password to the email, but have you tried resetting the password to that email? You didn't answer any of the other questions, like have you tried any other iTunes account password recovery methods? Can you provide more info?

If you want to send me a PM if you don't want to reply with personal info I can understand. I'm just trying to help you. You sound fairly aggravated so if you don't want to go any further I can understand that too. But I'm not convinced it can't be unlocked... yet.
    [X] CCENT ICND1 100-105
    [X] CCNA ICND2 200-105
    [X] CCNP ROUTE 300-101
    [X] CCNP SWITCH 300-115
    [X] CCNP TSHOOT 300-135
    [ ] CCDP ARCH 300-320
    @willieb - Very good tidbit to know. Thanks.

But that said - I realize that it may just be an intellectual pursuit but I know there are forensics people on this forum. If the device is un-encrypted, surely there is a way to either copy an image of an iPad or over-write the credential store.
    @willieb - Very good tidbit to know. Thanks.

But that said - I realize that it may just be an intellectual pursuit but I know there are forensics people on this forum. If the device is un-encrypted, surely there is a way to either copy an image of an iPad or over-write the credential store.

No way to my knowledge. Otherwise that security method wouldn't be very good.
    [X] CCENT ICND1 100-105
    [X] CCNA ICND2 200-105
    [X] CCNP ROUTE 300-101
    [X] CCNP SWITCH 300-115
    [X] CCNP TSHOOT 300-135
    [ ] CCDP ARCH 300-320
  • Neil86Neil86 Member Posts: 182 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I deploy iPads all day using Apple Configurator 2. A while back we had to prohibit personal Apple ID's and iCloud emails from being used for the same reason stated above. If an employee left, we had a heck of a time trying to remove the account. IIRC it has to do with the "Find My iPad" option. I think once that option is enabled with the iCloud account on the iPad, it is then locked to that account. No matter what we did to reset it in AC2, it always prompted for the email and password during initial setup and we couldn't proceed further. My coworker said he had to deal with Apple once and had to prove we purchased the iPad and owned it and blah blah blah, said it was a nightmare. I'm not aware of any solution, but I haven't spent much time looking either. I'm sure Apple could help, probably just a security thing. Your activation information is stored on their servers. Sorry to hear about the brick.

Edit:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201365
    I'll do the best I can....

She has a email that she no longer knows the password...... She got this email before she started to really become mature.....

She had a mini iPad which she no longer has the password for.

This has bricked the device......
    Neil86 wrote: »
    I deploy iPads all day using Apple Configurator 2. A while back we had to prohibit personal Apple ID's and iCloud emails from being used for the same reason stated above. If an employee left, we had a heck of a time trying to remove the account. IIRC it has to do with the "Find My iPad" option. I think once that option is enabled with the iCloud account on the iPad, it is then locked to that account. No matter what we did to reset it in AC2, it always prompted for the email and password during initial setup and we couldn't proceed further. My coworker said he had to deal with Apple once and had to prove we purchased the iPad and owned it and blah blah blah, said it was a nightmare. I'm not aware of any solution, but I haven't spent much time looking either. Sorry to hear about the brick.

Edit:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201365

This makes sense we had that enabled.... She lost the dang thing all the time.
    I'll do the best I can....

She has a email that she no longer knows the password...... She got this email before she started to really become mature.....

She had a mini iPad which she no longer has the password for.

This has bricked the device......

The email that she no longer has the password to, is that the email she used for iTunes? If so, do you or your daughter know what the email address is? If you don't mind providing it in this thread, what is the email address?
    [X] CCENT ICND1 100-105
    [X] CCNA ICND2 200-105
    [X] CCNP ROUTE 300-101
    [X] CCNP SWITCH 300-115
    [X] CCNP TSHOOT 300-135
    [ ] CCDP ARCH 300-320

Ok, so when I go to iTunes and click forgot password and type in wheelr@gmail.com, it's sending an email for recovery to "g*****.com", which I'm assuming is wheelr@gmail.com. If that's the case this should be pretty easy.

Go here and reset your gmail account. It appears your phone, or someones phone is on it. Or it gives you another way, try that.

https://accounts.google.com/signin/v2/recoveryidentifier?flowName=GlifWebSignIn&flowEntry=ServiceLogin

Edit: Once you have access to the iCloud account, then you can connect the device to iTunes and reset it to factory, then type the wheelr@gmail.com email in and the password to remove the iCloud lock and boom, back in business...
    [X] CCENT ICND1 100-105
    [X] CCNA ICND2 200-105
    [X] CCNP ROUTE 300-101
    [X] CCNP SWITCH 300-115
    [X] CCNP TSHOOT 300-135
    [ ] CCDP ARCH 300-320
    @DatabaseHead

So here are your summarized steps to euphoria:

1.) Reset the password for your wheelr@gmail.com gmail account to gain access back to that email. You can recover the password using your phone or another method.
    https://accounts.google.com/signin/v2/recoveryidentifier?hl=en&flowName=GlifWebSignIn&flowEntry=ServiceLogin

2.) Reset the password to your wheelr@gmail.com iTunes/iCloud account by allowing Apple to send a recovery email to wheelr@gmail.com. After this you should be able to login to your iCloud account.
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201487

3.) Place your iPad in DFU mode and use iTunes to restore back to factory (google the DFU instructions for your model and generation iPad).

4.) After step 3 it will ask for your iCloud account to unlock it. Login with your wheelr@gmail.com iTunes/iCloud account and new password you setup in step 2 above.

5.) At this point you can start over using the iPad with factory settings like it just came out of the box.

If you get stuck on a step let us know.
    [X] CCENT ICND1 100-105
    [X] CCNA ICND2 200-105
    [X] CCNP ROUTE 300-101
    [X] CCNP SWITCH 300-115
    [X] CCNP TSHOOT 300-135
    [ ] CCDP ARCH 300-320