Options

The Irony of it all

wwpranmawwpranma Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 116
Heh, so it's new years day and my brother got a nice 215 gb external hard drive for christmas for all his music. And well, as luck would have it, I jumped in so I could move all his files over to it, free up some space. Anyways, I was nearly completed using various windows built in tools to clean up the drives and I scan disk running, so I left the room to check on some other non computer related items and sure enough take a wild guess what my brother did. '

That's right, he turned off the computer in the middle of scan disk. It's not his fault though, me and him are smart in our own ways. He's a nurse (lpn) and I'm studying to fix comptuers. Anyways, take a wild guess what happens next. I'll give you a hint, I can't even boot into safe mode with a command prompt. That's right, the blue screen of death.

Now ordinarily I would easily have my copy of xp available, but yes, lucky me, I left it at mom and dad's house. So the finished process will come tomorow after I get the disk back. But I love the fact that all this studying actually payed off. Now I can fix a computer.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone had this exact situation or am I alone on this? I figure he shut down the computer in the middle of a scan disk and somehow it corrupted the registry or something, so I'm going to boot with the cd, open a recovery console, type in fdisk/mbr, and pray to god that's the correct awnser. If anyone has any suggestions though, I'm all all eyes.
Artificial Intelligence is nothing compared to the power of Human Stupidity.

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    I've never seen a BOD as a result of incomplete scan disk...
    fixmbr only fixes problems with the partition table, in the case of problems with scan disk, it wont do anything.

attempt to restart the computer safe mode.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    oldtecholdtech Member Posts: 103
    Did the same thing , I decided to clean(with a duster) the pc in the middle of a scandisk and hit the reset button by mistake. I think I was running windows ME at the time and I had to format and start again.
    Try til it hurts then try some more
  • Options
    it's all good, I'll have this figured out in no time, thanks.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    wwpranma wrote:
    it's all good, I'll have this figured out in no time, thanks.

So what is it you wanted us to help with? icon_rolleyes.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    I guess I honestly just wanted to make a comment about the situation and how it related to what my studies are preparing me for. I'm almost afraid to ask for a sollution because then I won't learn anything. I was just checking to see if anyone had an idea about the situation. If tehre's a different section for me to post stuff like that I'll post there next time. But it's all good.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Well, there is an OFF-TOPIC forum for things that do not pertain to the exams.

What bugs me is that you post 'asking' for help, then a couple people respond and you post back saying never mind, that you'll figure it out.

Don't get me wrong, it's good that you want to figure it out. However, part of being a good tech is finding that balance of learning how to do your own research vs. asking a more experienced person. Generally when people post questions in forums, the members try to assist....we are all volunteers here, so I and others willing come to this site on our own time to read what others have to say...when they have questions, we try to guide them down the correct path.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?