70-740 Exam Info

bluewarlord8bluewarlord8 Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey Guys, I hope you're all having a nice day.

I just bought a months subrscription to CBT Nuggets and will be studying for the 70-740 exam. Just thought i'd make this thread for other cert takers or people that have passed the exam who could share their 'tips n tricks'.

(To all the passers) Also, How long did it take you to study/pass the exam?

Toodles!
Certs: CompTIA A+, MTA: Server Admin, CCST - Networking & Azure Fundamentals.

Comments

• malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As I stated in other threads, combine your CBT Nuggets with stuff from here https://www.edx.org/course?search_query=windows+server and you be all set for passing 70-740.

Windows Server 2016: Virtualization
    Windows Server 2016: Virtualization Advanced
    Windows Server 2016: Basic Storage
    Windows Server 2016: Basic Storage Advanced
    Windows Server 2016: Infrastructure (Covers some of 70-742 too)

These above from edx will cover some of the topics in 70-740.

Took me about 4 months to study for 70-740. I could of done it quicker but I needed a break just after doing the Windows 10 certs.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• bluewarlord8bluewarlord8 Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just thought I'd add my own experience after my recent comment. I'm currently studying for the 70-740 and found these tools to be useful so far:

- Follow the MS exam objectives. Common but very important so you know what to expect in the exam.
    - Watch YouTube videos from 'techtipsfromwill'. Each of his videos responds to each objective you see on MS and his videos are clear and easy to understand.
    - If you're new to Server technologies also watch 'PC-Addicts' Server Basics course. A lot of useful info in there to help set up your own virtual environment.
    - Follow the Server 2016 70-740 course on Edx. Very useful information on there with videos and mini tests to see how well you have done.

I've also used CBTNuggets and Pluralsight in the past for other exams, not got to those yet with this course, however the above resources I listed are all FREE. I'd recommend starting with those to give yourself a strong understanding of Server 2016 and the course and then move onto CBT or Plural to solidify your knowledge further. Also keep practicing on VMs and installing the different versions of Server 2016 and the roles and features.

Thanks for taking the time out and presenting me with those cracking resources. I will definitely have a mooch around the links you sent me. Good luck on the exam.
  • kbreitsprecherkbreitsprecher Member Posts: 12 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Since Microsoft has essentially killed off Nano Server, how much of that is on the exams? I have been studying pretty hard for the past couple months, and i'm feeling pretty nervous about the exam. Especially with the way Microsoft asks their questions from previous exams I've taken.

I just can't seem to want to care about nano because we don't and won't ever use it...

Any tips would be appreciated.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When I heard they were taking away Nano server I skipped it completely. While Nano server was referenced during the test I don't recall anything specific I didn't know how to answer.

edit: I did read the book which included nano server I just did not review it or lab it at all.
    Since Microsoft has essentially killed off Nano Server, how much of that is on the exams? I have been studying pretty hard for the past couple months, and i'm feeling pretty nervous about the exam. Especially with the way Microsoft asks their questions from previous exams I've taken.

I just can't seem to want to care about nano because we don't and won't ever use it...

Don't skip Nano Server subjects because its still on the exam objectives as of today so you WILL have questions about it.

Nano Server hasn't been completely killed off but they are rolling it into Containers which is still 5% - 10% part of the exam. Containers is an technology MS is pushing, this gives them a good reason to throw Nano Server questions at you over a number of subjects.

When I took my 70-740 nearly a year a go, I was thinking to myself while doing the exam, for Implementing Windows Containers appears to be such a small subject percentage in the exam but I was getting a loads of questions about it. Which also included Nano Server, this gave me the impressing if I was getting those questions correct it was counting towards Implementing Windows Container and Install Windows Servers in Host and Compute Environments scoring sections. When I was doing my 70-741 this year, I came across Nano Server questions in there too.

So my advice is, whatever is on the exam subjects, study it. When MS announce a type of technology which has been removed or toned down, don't be fooled thinking it wont be in the exam anymore, it takes time for changes like that to be reflected in the exam.....if all at. RemoteApp in 70-697 is a example of this.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

herath wrote: »
    I got my 70-740 about a month ago. I only used CBT Nuggets and OCG. CBT are really good. well explained and easy to understand. Get CBT on eBay it is cheaper. There is no point paying $80 for a subscription.
    Once done with CBT went through some exam questions on internet and book your exam.
    Exam itself is ok. not too easy not too hard. if you know the stuff then no problem.
    I got 840 and passed my exam.

How many marks to pass the exam?
    700 I believe.

Sweet! So far, I think the 70-740 will be alright to pass. I can't wait!
    So I wrote Mine today... I barely passed, but I passed. There were alot of questions I got that I just outright didn't understand because they were considerably too vague to properly be answered. Those same questions didn't even come close to coming up in the 70-740 Pluralsight videos.

Anyway, overall it was difficult, and tricky(some of those gotcha type questions) but I don't think too too difficult.

I did officially get 0% on the containers section, and still passed...

Now to start studying for the 70-741...
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good Job! I also struggled with containers. For some reason I could not get them set up properly in my home lab and I ended up just relying on the book info. I am currently studying for the 70-741 and hope to finish my MCSA in January.

Good Luck on the next test!
    Jon
    Containers I couldn't get working on my home lab either, it's was the lowest scored on my exam. And I got to do it again for my 70-744 icon_sad.gif

Must of done well to get 0% on a subject and still pass! Well Done
    Certifications:

• november24november24 Member Posts: 76 ■■■■□□□□□□

Congratulations on passing the exam,
    Could you please share the materials that you've relayed on when you were preparing for the exam?
  • AmcelweeAmcelwee Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This has been my experience with all Microsoft exams, its like they word it so vague as to not give away any clues to what the answer is.

The 70-741 test, for me was really easy. I skimmed over a study guide a couple days before and passed it.

Good luck !!
    Amcelwee wrote: »
    This has been my experience with all Microsoft exams, its like they word it so vague as to not give away any clues to what the answer is.

The 70-741 test, for me was really easy. I skimmed over a study guide a couple days before and passed it.

Good luck !!

I guess its down to how much experience have you with the technology. I dont do any server work in my job but I passed 70-740 first time round. I struggled with 70-741, took me 3 attempts before I passed it and 70-742 I passed on the 2nd retake. 70-742 had one question which to this day I haven't got a clue what they meant, I cant find anything on the internet which reference it.

They worded the whole exam to make it over complicated for no reason because it was based on one subject and nothing else.
    Certifications:

november24 wrote: »
    Congratulations on passing the exam,
    Could you please share the materials that you've relayed on when you were preparing for the exam?

I set up a lab at my desk using VM's and 2 desktops. I got a subscription to Pluralsight and watched their video's and then recreated everything they did in their labs.

During my studying I only breezed over the containers/Nano server portions.

All my documentation came from Pluralsight essentially. I wrote down all the commands they used and researched what they did and where they would be used. And then I wrote the exam.

I don't know how much I can say about the types of questions they asked and why I didn't like some without getting into trouble...
    So I wrote Mine today... I barely passed, but I passed. There were alot of questions I got that I just outright didn't understand because they were considerably too vague to properly be answered. Those same questions didn't even come close to coming up in the 70-740 Pluralsight videos.

Anyway, overall it was difficult, and tricky(some of those gotcha type questions) but I don't think too too difficult.

I did officially get 0% on the containers section, and still passed...

Now to start studying for the 70-741...

Lol, I know what your on about. I guess it's not just CompTIA that like chucking in vague questions then haha. icon_rolleyes.gif

Good luck !!

I guess it's their strange algorithm to make sure the test taker is like 100% knowledgeable in the topic. This is why I've learnt that when doing practice exams it's best to know why other the other answers to a question are wrong/right.
    I guess it's their strange algorithm to make sure the test taker is like 100% knowledgeable in the topic. This is why I've learnt that when doing practice exams it's best to know why other the other answers to a question are wrong/right.

Never really thought about doing this with the incorrect answers, at least not actively. I will have to try it, thanks!

The biggest problem I have is they get out the Thesaurus to talk around something in fear of actually giving you the answer. When in fact, that is not how people talk to each other really think about what is going on.
    Never really thought about doing this with the incorrect answers, at least not actively. I will have to try it, thanks!

The biggest problem I have is they get out the Thesaurus to talk around something in fear of actually giving you the answer. When in fact, that is not how people talk to each other really think about what is going on.

The one thing I noticed about all of their exams, but keep in mind this most recent one I just scraped by on... Is that as an example.. they almost intentionally try to misdirect you. I have 3 questions from this one that are perfect examples of this.

This is just an example of that they do... blah blah iSCSI, blah iSCSI, blah blah blah iSCSI, one piece of information, iSCSI, blah blah blah iSCSI?

Possible answers

A resize iSCSI-target
    B resize iSCSI-disk
    C diskpart
    D nothing important

The answer would be diskpart because of that one piece of information that you might have skipped over because of all the iSCSI talk.. Without that one piece of information its one of the iSCSI answers... that the part I don't like...

True, they do use profound vocabulary. I guess it's good in the sense that, it makes us ready for potential situations in real life.. Plus, you have to take into consideration that people around the globe will be sitting the exam.. So that includes a wide range of people who may or may not already talk like that (high vocabulary)..
    The one thing I noticed about all of their exams, but keep in mind this most recent one I just scraped by on... Is that as an example.. they almost intentionally try to misdirect you. I have 3 questions from this one that are perfect examples of this.

This is just an example of that they do... blah blah iSCSI, blah iSCSI, blah blah blah iSCSI, one piece of information, iSCSI, blah blah blah iSCSI?

Possible answers

A resize iSCSI-target
    B resize iSCSI-disk
    C diskpart
    D nothing important

The answer would be diskpart because of that one piece of information that you might have skipped over because of all the iSCSI talk.. Without that one piece of information its one of the iSCSI answers... that the part I don't like...

I hate that lol. The A+ 901 & 902 is full of questions written in that manner.

Possible answers

A resize iSCSI-target
    B resize iSCSI-disk
    C diskpart
    D nothing important

Or questions you get

something, something you will run DisPart from the command prompt. Does this complete the task?

A:Yes
    B:No

You instantly think A but when you look at the question carefully you notice its spelt DisPart not DiskPart so the answer is B.
    Certifications:

Possible answers

A resize iSCSI-target
    B resize iSCSI-disk
    C diskpart
    D nothing important

This! Ugg, can't stand it. I went into the exam expecting this, got a question that did it to me and was thrown off my game. I think that is what irritates me the most. I knew it was coming, and I did nothing to counteract it. Read the question again, read it with an accent, then try to explain it to your wife, anything to get to the real meaning. (speaking to myself on this)

Now it's bothering me, gonna study up and get the certification!

Thanks all!
    Or questions you get

something, something you will run DisPart from the command prompt. Does this complete the task?

A:Yes
    B:No

You instantly think A but when you look at the question carefully you notice its spelt DisPart not DiskPart so the answer is B.

One word: Miscreants!