VIRL 2018 what you think?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi guys and gals,

I am debating reasons to get VIRL or using Cisco Lab builder for my CCIE studies.

There are so many anomalies with GNS3, Web IOU, or GNS3Vm etc...
I do not have time to dink around with bugs and issues all the time.
I want to study and do commands...not TS bugs all the time.

I am sure virl or cisco lab builder has to be much better less bugs and issues and when I travel i can take the labs with me and do m labs on the road when i work...

is 2018 VIRL improved? and what do you think of cisco lab builder?
can I save my labs to my computer if need be? ?

Comments

• HappyBearITHappyBearIT Member Posts: 55 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not the question you asked, but I've had a lot of success with EVE-NG running inside of VMWare fusion on my Mac. I purchased virl a year ago just for the images, and then installed them into Eve. Its been really stable and really flexible for my study habits.
    CISSP|CCNP R&S|CCNA Security|CCNA Wireless|ITIL Foundations|VMware vSphere 6.5 Foundations|BS-Computer Science|MBA|
    Pursuing: Linux+|VCP-DCV|PCAP|
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    hmmmm I have been thinking about that..so maybe I can pay for virl and get images and put them in EVE .do you have any links to run the license key for the EVE any helpful links to get it going? Is there a paid EVE NG? or do you use the free one ? I am studying CCIE R/S so just L2 and L3 only. Does multicast work well in EVE? thanks man
    HappybearIT...i have questions on EVE NG..
    1. can you save labs and keep them for later?
    2. do you have to run some kind of cisco IOU license code for images ios?
    3. you said if i buy virl i can import ios IOU images into eve ng
    4. is it easy to use and can you label subnets and make areas like GNS3? make notes on screen?
    5. They only have paid version PRO ?
    6. I can run switches routers and all kinds of nodes types.
    7. VIRL images work raw into EVE NG no need to do anything?

thank you man. I might get virl and get EVE NG..
    I dont have time to mess with issues with GNS3 or WEB IOU...I love web iou but you cant save many labs like you can in GNS3
    I like to save the base IP base lab and then i can do the labs quicker . even ccie lab has ip addresses already.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The only area VIRL fails at is serial (EVE-NG and Cisco Lab Builder fail here unless you have access to IOL for EVE-NG) and the only topic I recall off-hand that depends on serial is PPP. You could probably memorize what you need to know or buy a few 2500s to practice with to fill in the gap. They might have 11.3 code loaded on them but I suspect PAP/CHAP haven't changed much.
    really virl and lab builder do not serial? weird ahha thanks man!
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Hey ITDaddy

If you can I’d say get your firm to pay for VIRL.

My old firm paid for it, I’ve moved firms and to be honest I thought it was clunky!

I’ve exported the images (IOSv and IOSvL2 and I will spin it up in GNS3 VM.. uses much less resource and it’s quicker to spin up!

From my experience people tend to get VIRL for the images and use them elsewhere - the images apparently have more features than IOU apparently!
    2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]
  • MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    VIRL is a good product. I like GNS3 better, so as others have said, I purchased VIRL, downloaded the images and use them with the GNS3 appliance