Options

Udemy or CBT nuggets

BennyTheManBennyTheMan Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
Has anybody had any experience with udemy? $20 training courses pretty attractive. I have used CBT Nuggets before and liked it, but it's expensive. Any opinions? I am studying for icnd2.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It's hit and miss. There are many different courses by many different instructors so the quality varies widely compared to CBT Nuggets. Find something with a lot of good reviews.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For the price Udemy is great.

I would compare it to youtube. Some content is good and some is not you just have a sample a few and find an instructor you like. If cost is an issue I would say definitely give it a try.
  • Options
    TjaljewTjaljew Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CBT all day long ( just for CCNA RS )
    i passed ICND1 only with what i learned from CBT
  • Options
    kaijukaiju Member Posts: 453 ■■■■■■■□□□
    A bit OT but did you checkout the courses on Cybrary?
    Work smarter NOT harder! Semper Gumby!
  • Options
    BrandonT2610BrandonT2610 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    100% without question Udemy. There are several good teachers and Authors who give you a ton of lecture and labs to easily follow. If cbt wasnt a costly monthly subscription i may give them a nudge. However i have not found it worth it. I guess we will see in a few weeks though after i test haha
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I find the quality of CBT Nuggets in my experience pretty good while with Udemy it is very hit or miss in terms of quality. However, I will say price wise that Udemy is much cheaper on a per course basis versus high cost of CBT Nuggets.

Overall I will use Udemy more often because of the pay as you go approach but I think both have some great content if you research them carefully.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    williebwillieb Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Use both. They both have their strengths and weaknesses and complement each other well.

CBT Nuggets - Overall very good value for the money. Excellent courses and explanations. Jeremy keeps it fun and interesting but fairly shallow content on some topics.

Very good labs and easy to re-create. Labs/hands-on are very important.

Easy to keep up with where you left off but you can't reset it when done.

You can download videos but not as raw files. You can only download using official CBT apps. And once your subscription ends, no more watching videos.

Not considering money I well prefer CBT to Udemy, no contest.

Udemy - Hands down best value for the money. Not as professional videos/content, and as others have said hit or miss.

I've watched a good many of Chris Bryant's videos. Overall excellent but I have a few pet peeves with his content:

He goes into way too much detail on some topics. Before you start a topic, review the official Cisco exam topic description.

Prob personal opinion here, but I HATE the hundred+ (literally) of videos. I'd much rather them be longer videos than 5-10 minutes each. Maybe 30min to an hour max (roughly).

I wasn't particularly fond of him basically reading his pre-written document, but I got used to it I guess. I tend to like a whiteboard, but that could be just me used to CBT.

He didn't show the network diagrams near enough therefore his more complex labs were very hard to follow and understand exactly where he was at and what he was doing, and impossible to re-create without spending a lot of time filling in the gaps. When he shows the diagram, take a snapshot (Windows 10 use the snipping tool) so you can refer to it later.

His pronunciation of "con - fig" was killing me, I would laugh every time, geesh. I'm from GA and he's from AL. What the heck Chris? lol

Despite the gripes above this is def the best value for those on a budget, typically beginners! The time he spent on his courses is amazing and covers a lot of content. Still, don't ever use just one resource to study from.
    You can download all videos which is very tedious since there are a lot, but it allows you to play them on a plane or listen to them in your car, put them on your Plex Media Server, etc. I listen to them in my car.

The Udemy app is pretty great also for streaming and downloading to a phone/tablet.

Side Notes:

CBT is subscription based and Udemy is pay by course. It doesn't really matter to me. I used to love collecting cert books back in the day to put in my "resource library" in my office. But now many of them are too old to refer too lol.

As always, pay very close attention to the Cisco CCNP ROUTE Exam Topics, especially these key words: Identify, Describe, Configure, Troubleshoot, or other similar words.
    [X] CCENT ICND1 100-105
    [X] CCNA ICND2 200-105
    [X] CCNP ROUTE 300-101
    [X] CCNP SWITCH 300-115
    [X] CCNP TSHOOT 300-135
    [ ] CCDP ARCH 300-320
  • Options
    boxerboy1168boxerboy1168 Member Posts: 395 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Udemy if you pick the right instructor although Jeremy Ciaro has a decent CBT course. You really need more than 1 video series.
    Currently enrolling into WGU's IT - Security Program. Working on LPIC (1,2,3) and CCNA (and S) as long term goals and preparing for the Security+ and A+ as short term goals.
  • Options
    KalissieKalissie Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would say CBT.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Currently studying for my CCENT and CBT was included with the course. I actually like CBT videos. He makes it easy for you to lab IMO.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    KalissieKalissie Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    NOVA_USANOVA_USA Member Posts: 13 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Check out Neal Anderson on UDEMY. His CCNA course has lots and lots of labs. About 80% of his video have labs with the solution. Most can be done in packet tracer (FREE).

You can catch UBEMY on sale. They will pobably have a sale this up coming weekend. Labor Day for people in the US.

This is the video series I'm current using.
  • Options
    LunchbocksLunchbocks Member Posts: 319 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used Udemy for Net+ and liked it a lot (Mike Meyers Videos). I have used CBT nuggets since the early days with my Microsoft certs. I am currently using both as I feel like they really compliment each other. I started ICND1 this weekend.
    Degree: Liberty University - B.S Computer Science (In Progress)
    Current Certs: CCENT | MCTS | Network+
    Currently Working On: Security+
    2020 Goals: CCNA, CCNP Security, Linux+

• Options
    cabowabocabowabo Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CBT is the best there is imho for ccna-rs
    B.S. Network Admin | CCNP-Wireless
    CERTIFICATION GOALS 2018:
    CCNP-W [X] ACSA [X] JNCIA [X]
    CERTIFICATION GOALS 2019: CCIE-W [ ? ] CWAP [ ? ]