Options

Virtual Labs for hardware

wwpranmawwpranma Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 116
Does anyone know if there are any virtual labs that are non microsoft related for hardware related issues out there? It seems iddiotic that no one would have tried to cash in on that idea. I taught myself flash and could EASILY program a hardware tutorial, but it actaully would take alot of time, so in a sense I can't do it. But I still think it would be an interesting idea. Maybe I should try and get some others to help me sell the idea. Regardless of all my blabbering, any no's or yes's on the existence of a+ hardware virtual labs?
Artificial Intelligence is nothing compared to the power of Human Stupidity.

Comments

• Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    http://www.amazon.com/PC-Technician-Street-Smarts-CompTIA/dp/0470084588/sr=8-1/qid=1167699788/ref=sr_1_1/103-8885967-2098224?ie=UTF8&s=books

I saw the above at a bookstore one time...and there're some interesting things...but it's still also just a book.

it's pretty difficult to watch a video and learn hardware troubleshooting.....unless if you could come up with test cases that simulate problems..and how to go about fixing them....

I have the 16th edition of:
    http://www.amazon.com/Upgrading-Repairing-17th-Scott-Mueller/dp/0789734044/sr=1-1/qid=1167699906/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-8885967-2098224?ie=UTF8&s=books

and the dvd that it comes with is probably the closest thing I've ever seen...it teaches some of the basics to assembling a pc...replacing parts...preparing a tower/powersupply...and etc.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    Maybe once I finally get settled in I can actually write up the flash program, except make it a demo of one section and mail it out to a bunch of software companies and see if anyone would want to give me an advance to actually write the whole program. Wouldn't that be nice, getting paid to author a program that would help others out. I'd make sure to have it in the contracts that I am allowed to distribute copies of the software to whom ever I want however I want :) I bet they'd love that one.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    wwpranma wrote:
    Maybe once I finally get settled in I can actually write up the flash program, except make it a demo of one section and mail it out to a bunch of software companies and see if anyone would want to give me an advance to actually write the whole program. Wouldn't that be nice, getting paid to author a program that would help others out. I'd make sure to have it in the contracts that I am allowed to distribute copies of the software to whom ever I want however I want :) I bet they'd love that one.

I see Bighornsheep has already mentioned Scott Mueller. He has done a nice job with his videos for years now.

Also, if you are looking for Linux-based try Google. I cannot locate the link at the moment, but there are a few sites that are already setup to address that 'tutorial' need.

So there are labs out there, but you'll find that the best results come from experience and no lab can replace that.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Word. But I'm actually just contemplating graphical hardware virtual labs. I know I know, these won't get you any real experience, but at the same time, this might actually be something the IT virgins have needed for a long time. But maybe I'm wrong, who's to say, but I'll deffinitely be checking into all that you guys have mentioned. I hope everyone's year is going well so far.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    IT Virgins??

icon_rolleyes.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Yeah, lil eight year olds that are smart enough to understand the concept but mommy and daddy don't like junior playing around with electronics. I've met some pretty smart kids in my day, some with savaant written all over them. It's sickening how smart kids are getting, and I think they need early influence in their lives to make stuff like this seem like childs play. I'm sure that I could've learned html in the sixth grade if someone had sat me down with one fo the books I bought 5 years ago, and I still woudl've been able to accomplish the same thing.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wwpranma wrote:
    I'm sure that I could've learned html in the sixth grade if someone had sat me down with one fo the books I bought 5 years ago, and I still woudl've been able to accomplish the same thing.

Very true.
    My 12 year old daughter learned some basic html last year. icon_cool.gif
    She picked it up from a cool kids site (neopets.com), then I showed her a few tips I knew (which wasn't much) and she ended up building her own "guild" on neopets and a couple of basic pages for our family website.

When I was working in a school district up in Iowa they taught an html class for 6th graders.
    All things are possible, only believe.