Veterans in IT

m4v3r1ckm4v3r1ck Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

My name is Heath Adams and I'm a co-founder of a group called VetSec. We're a small community that focuses on networking with other veterans in cybersecurity. We also work with vets transitioning out of the service that want to work in IT. We've been working on providing free training videos as well that are geared toward ethical hacking. This year, we even went to DEFCON!

All of our resources are completely free. I'm not sure if this is the place to advertise, but I wanted to reach out in whatever way I could. If you're a vet in IT or even considering IT, check us out at www.veteransec.com. We have a pretty active Slack channel full of vets in all forms of their IT careers.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or PM me!

Comments

• FSF150FSF150 Member Posts: 119 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Used your practical networking page for a refresher while studying for CISSP. Good stuff.

I'll have to hit up the slack channel too. Thanks for providing a great resource.
    First we drink the coffee. Then we do the things. :neutral:
  • jwdk19jwdk19 Member Posts: 70 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info. Will definetly check this out.
  • m4v3r1ckm4v3r1ck Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Always happy to hear positive feedback! Thank you :)

Congrats on the CISSP!
  • JamesBarkerJamesBarker Member Posts: 18 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi m4v3r1ck,

I love your post on https://www.veteransec.com/ about
    "How I Landed My First InfoSec Job in a Competitive Market: Advice and Takeaways"

It's very inspiring and you don't see much of that around, thanks for sharing your story, I red through it all.
    I love how you mentioned clearly your career moves as you gained the certifications.
    Gives someone like me a bit more on guidelines to follow.

Thanks,

James
  • m4v3r1ckm4v3r1ck Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi m4v3r1ck,

I love your post on https://www.veteransec.com/ about
    "How I Landed My First InfoSec Job in a Competitive Market: Advice and Takeaways"

It's very inspiring and you don't see much of that around, thanks for sharing your story, I red through it all.
    I love how you mentioned clearly your career moves as you gained the certifications.
    Gives someone like me a bit more on guidelines to follow.

Thanks,

James

Thanks for the kind words, James.

Definitely never be afraid to move on if you feel like you're ready. A lot of people are afraid to leave a job, but there will almost always be someone in the IT market willing to take a chance on you.
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Looks interesting, I'll definitely be checking it out today.