Failed a+ on first try , 597 today !

HackerthonHackerthon Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone, After studying for about 3months and even watched the professor messer's videos on udemy and read some mike Meyers book as well as David's Prowse Exam Cram not forgetting the online pop up quizzes I did over and over, even tho I feel abit down because the questions somewhat threw me off balance but was able to deal with most of my SIMS, Just the multiple choice questions.....Please Gurus, kindly advice on steps to take because I want to try again within 3months....HELP !

Comments

• PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You now know how the exam is structured, and you should have a picture in your mind of what they expect you to know. A lot of the A+ exam is about memorizing technical facts, such as refresh rate on RAM chips and sector size on a hard drive. However, when you study a particular objective, ask yourself if it makes sense to you. Could you rephrase everything in your own words and still get the point across? Making it a part of your general knowledge is a better tactic than trying to have a photographic memory. It helps a lot if you can practice taking computers apart, making them break, then fixing them again. Remember, CompTIA's recommendation is that you have 9-12 months of practical experience.

Don't let it get you down. I failed one of the A+ exams when I took it the first time, but I passed a month later. Try getting a variety of practice exams, and most of all understand the content. Best of luck on your next attempt!
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • HackerthonHackerthon Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    PT TECH LINK................Thanks for the advice and yes it was an eye-opener and will definitely heed to those advises
  • LordQarlynLordQarlyn Member Posts: 693 ■■■■■■□□□□
    If you mean those questions you have to pick two or more answers, arrgh, I hate those. I usually get 2 out of 3 correct on the practice test but it doesn't matter, the answer is still counted as wrong.
    Take note of what the post exam report said were your weak areas, focus on those, but of course, don't ignore your strong areas.
    LordQarlyn wrote: »
    If you mean those questions you have to pick two or more answers, arrgh, I hate those. I usually get 2 out of 3 correct on the practice test but it doesn't matter, the answer is still counted as wrong.
    Take note of what the post exam report said were your weak areas, focus on those, but of course, don't ignore your strong areas.

Thanks for the advice
  • SpiegelSpiegel Member Posts: 322 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Pretty much what PCTechLinc mentioned. You got to be able to explain in your own words what you've learned but also have a structured study habit. IT is a lot of terms, abbreviations, and memorization and A+ is the apex of that. Unless you've had lots of IT experience and exposure to all its different facets I recommend coming up with a more cohesive way of studying to learn all the terms. Flash cards, practice questions, videos are all great but I also recommend really diving into the books and really familiarize yourself with some of the details. CompTIA is known to throw some curveballs here and there.

A+ covers a large spectrum of information so it's best to go over it with a fine comb. I recommend running a practice exam that gives you results of the different objects covered and see where you should place most of your focus. Professor Messer's videos pretty much outline what will actually be on the exams to a varying degree. And take your experience as well now that you've sat through a CompTIA exam. Most of them follow that format.

I've also failed my first A+ exam back in 2004 when I was a junior in high school. It definitely changed the way I studied from then on.
    Degree: WGU B.S. Network Operations and Security [COMPLETE]
    Current Certs: A+ | N+ | S+ | Cloud Essentials+ | Project+ | MTA: OSF | CIW: SDA | ITIL: F | CCENT | CCNA R&S | CCNA | LPI Linux Essentials
    Currently Working On: JNCIA-MistAI

2022 Goals: JNCIA-MistAI [ ]
    Future Certs: CCNP Enterprise
  • AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey Hackerthon, please understand a few key concepts about starting down the certification road.

1. Your first test with a vendor is half about taking a test and half about learning their testing concept... aka their kool-aid.
    2. Everyone will fail an exam sooner or later. Often more than once. Never let a fail crush you.
    3. Write down questions that stick with you, and research them.
    4. Use their major issue areas to focus your next step of training.
    5. SCHEDULE your next exam.

It sounds odd to some, but you have made a major first step on the next phase of building a career. Don't let anything bother you or slow you down. You fall down, double down on the cert. Your building you. Therefore the key is never to give up on you.

I am speaking from experience. I have over 30 certifications in IT. I have failed multiple times. I HAVE over 30 certifications because I said: I refuse to fail.

I am hoping you take the same concept. Double down and build YOU.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • lucky0977lucky0977 Member Posts: 218 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ashenwelt's explanation is spot on. A+ was my very first cert and after 20 something certs later I still hold that exam in high regard. Don't get discouraged as the exam covers a large amount of information and a lot has to do with trying to memorize so many factual things that can easily be googled these days. Take your time and grind through it. You'll probably have to read some topics over and over and over again to memorize some items.

Also, Professor Messer and the Mike Myers book are very good sources of information so use them again.
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Science | Hawaii Pacific University
    CISSP | CISM | CISA | CASP | SSCP | Sec+ | Net+ | A+
  • JamesBarkerJamesBarker Member Posts: 18 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Hackerthon,

After 2.5 years of working on a IT Helpdesk I barely scrapped a pass on the 802 part of the exam when I did mine - a couple of years ago.
    This was even with learning it in a classroom environment with plenty of support, I was using the Sybex A+ book which was basically my bible, I also made flash cards and had night time revision over Skype with my group also.

Study this book like your bible is what I'd recommend https://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-1119137853,miniSiteCd-SYBEX.html
    Flash cards will help
    Keep on doing the practice exams, they will help you a lot

Its a tough exam I will admit.

I worked at a place before where having my A+ got me the job, coupled with my experience.
    My manager there also had his A+, he was much older than me and got his A+ in the days when it did not expire.
    He mentioned to me that he failed his A+ certification, think about it this way, he has his A+ now but previously failed it, but is now an IT Manager, the A+ can really open doors for you.
    I well regard it, I'm actually assisting a friend of mine who works in retail selling computers and doing simple fixes who wants a job on a helpdesk to get his A+, He's finding it hard but is progressing well & I'm hoping he's eventually going to go for it!

In recent news I'm doing my Windows 10 MCSA which is hard, I failed the 70-678 exam first time and passed second time, this week I've done my first attempt on my 70-697 and failed it - retaking soon.

Failure is another part of life man, you haven't failed it if you pick it back up again!
    lucky0977 wrote: »
    ashenwelt's explanation is spot on. A+ was my very first cert and after 20 something certs later i still hold that exam in high regard. Don't get discouraged as the exam covers a large amount of information and a lot has to do with trying to memorize so many factual things that can easily be googled these days. Take your time and grind through it. You'll probably have to read some topics over and over and over again to memorize some items.

Also, professor messer and the mike myers book are very good sources of information so use them again.

thank you very much