Passed 501 today, woot woot

mr.comfortablymr.comfortably Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I passed my 501 today with an 795/900! Currently I am enrolled at WGU, so I started by going through their material first which seems to be snippets of book material such as Darril Gibsons Security+ Study Guide. As well, I read through the Darril Gibson book, and highlighted key facts I expected on the exam. I also did note cards of key topics and definitions. I enjoy doing the note cards, because it provides an opportunity to memorize key facts during intermediate downtime. In addition, I did my videos through TestOut which was supplied by WGU, and recommended on another post within this forum. I applied the knowledge I learned through VMs. Currently using VM Workstation 12, and it gets the job done.
During the test I found there was a lot of questions related to reading audit logs to determine the type of 'attack', or situation happening. You need to understand the technology obviously and what it looks like if you were to see it happening. Knowing the attack types was important, as well as having a strong understanding on the public/private key-pair. I did get a few questions on wireless technologies, and encryption specifics such as key lengths, and when to implement what protocols in which situations.
It was definitely a CompTIA test, as I found myself second guessing myself because of the wording of the questions, but stick to your gut and you'll be fine!

-best of luck on all future studies, I'm on to linux+ icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!icon_thumright.gif

Just read in reddit a few days ago that CompTIA will be launching a new version of the Linux+ exam (LX0-XK04), which is no longer a two-for-one cert and is not part of the CE program.
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • WillannemWillannem Member Posts: 6 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • KapitalKapital Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    During the test I found there was a lot of questions related to reading audit logs to determine the type of 'attack', or situation happening. You need to understand the technology obviously and what it looks like if you were to see it happening. Knowing the attack types was important, as well as having a strong understanding on the public/private key-pair.
    Congratulations.
    Where did you find information about various logs showing different types of attacks? I have been looking for this info for a while but can't find any.
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!! :D
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! Build that career!
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • D20D20 Member Posts: 124 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!!
    Certifications: A+ Sec+ isc(2) CC Google Cybersecurity Certification 2024 Goals: Pass the Network+ Exam
  • nicoletteannicolettean Member Posts: 19 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!
    2018 Goals - AWS Certified Solutions Architect

Linkedin Profile : https://www.linkedin.com/in/andrew-nicolette-454721109/