Passed GSTRT

cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
My role has taken me more into the IS leadership direction so I facilitated the class back in April. It was quite a different experience as it was my first non-technical SANS class. It wasn't boring, just different. It felt strange doing "labs" based on discussing scenarios that applied leadership theories and models rather than actually doing "hacky" things.

So the exam was pretty much inline with what I expected. I used my trusty index preapared exactly as the previous ones. Question wording was very similar to the practice test.

What's next? Maybe CISM.

Comments

• NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Congrats man! You'll crush CISM. As experienced as you are, online QADB for two weeks, take the exam.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Congrats man! You'll crush CISM. As experienced as you are, online QADB for two weeks, take the exam.

JoJoCal19 here. icon_thumright.gif
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • Randy_RandersonRandy_Randerson Member Posts: 115 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    My role has taken me more into the IS leadership direction so I facilitated the class back in April. It was quite a different experience as it was my first non-technical SANS class. It wasn't boring, just different. It felt strange doing "labs" based on discussing scenarios that applied leadership theories and models rather than actually doing "hacky" things.

So the exam was pretty much inline with what I expected. I used my trusty index preapared exactly as the previous ones. Question wording was very similar to the practice test.

What's next? Maybe CISM.

Congrats on the pass Cyber! I took GLEG earlier this year and that was my first non-technical course. Same thing. It was different because there weren't really labs per say. It was just a lawyer facilitating a discussion. Although I felt it was engaging and it wasn't nearly as dry as you'd imagine legal speak to be. GDPR and BYOD for that class were the hot button items naturally.
  • D_A_I_LD_A_I_L Registered Users Posts: 4 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can you tell me more about your index for GSTRT?  

Also can anyone tell me if there is good ROI here if I already have CISSP, CISM and PMP?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    edited February 2019
    My index wasn't any different than any other GIAC test I've taken (see example of my indexes https://community.infosecinstitute.com/discussion/98047/passed-gcih). I index anything that I have a slight chance of NOT remembering. If I know it by hear I don't put it in the index. This one was one of my shorter indexes and approx 350 entries. 

Can't really say much about ROI. None of my certs have ever played a direct role in getting a job, promotion, etc. I do certs because they help me learn new material and never really expect much out of them.