Options

Ubuntu Server Question

Nik 99Nik 99 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
Incoming linux noob question. I'm working on setting up some virtual servers on ubuntu server 16.04 / 18.04. Given that I'll eventually make these reachable from outside my LAN I started reading up on linux hardening steps. A lot of guides keep mentioning to create a non root user account. Is there any need to actually do this given that during installation of 16.04 / 18.04 the user you create is a sudoer and the root account doesn't get it's own unique password (as far as I can see)?

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You are correct. During the install, a non-root user is being created. The difference is that this user has root elevation privileges. You can also create users which do not have the ability to elevate their privileges to root if you need those accounts.
  • Options
    Nik 99Nik 99 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    paul78 wrote: »
    You are correct. During the install, a non-root user is being created. The difference is that this user has root elevation privileges. You can also create users which do not have the ability to elevate their privileges to root if you need those accounts.
    Thanks for answering that Paul =)
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    When you say outside your lan, do you mean the (get ready for it) the INTERNET?
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This site may help with how to harden your Ubuntu server.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me