home lab - nas to use as a datastore?

Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,
Can anyone recommend a free/opensource solution to use as a datastore as NAS for a VMware lab? I just discovered Samba is not usable. Please correct me if im wrong.

Thanks!
Node

Comments

• stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This might be what you are looking for.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the response. I think i was trying too hard. I found a solution by setting up a Centos server and adding the NFS Server packages to it. But now I moved on to a new problem. It appears folder seem to have a maximum data capacity. Suggestions?

• Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The 50 GB is probably the size of your CentOS / mount volume. You can do a df -h in CentOS to verify.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • november24november24 Member Posts: 76 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When I was doing practice on Lab, I used OpenFiler as the Storage solution.
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I don't know about free but I actually just configured my synology nas 2 bay with a datastore with some LUN connections to my nested vmware esxi at home and it was easy and hella sweet.
  • kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    FreeNAS,
    OpenFiler
    NAS4Free

and if you have a Windows server, under server manager, use the iSCSI feature.

Plenty of options.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • Node ManNode Man Member Posts: 668 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mike7 wrote: »
    The 50 GB is probably the size of your CentOS / mount volume. You can do a df -h in CentOS to verify.

This was correct. I fixed the problem by exporting the correct home volume.

Thanks!
  • TremiataTremiata Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For anyone looking at building a Homelab check out serverbuilds.net
    I found out about this website when looking into building an all in one home lab type of server on the cheap. These guys started on plex subreddit i think and talked about hardware too much and then started another subreddit JDM_Waaat

Anyways I just built the anniversary build (Not Safe For Wallet). I went with Dual Xeon 8c/16t and 64mb ram (server holds up to 512mb). Motherboard has dual 10gb Ethernet, ipmi, and LSI SAS controller that is flashed to IT mode passing storage control over to freenas 11 VM, and nesting ESXi 6.7. Getting ready for Stanly CC class since I never took the test 4 years ago when i took the class before. icon_redface.gif You can build it cheap or go as big as you want. I went mild i think and didn't hurt the wallet too much.
  • eillinois31eillinois31 Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kj0 wrote: »
    FreeNAS,
    OpenFiler
    NAS4Free

and if you have a Windows server, under server manager, use the iSCSI feature.

Plenty of options.

Openfiler and Windows ISCSI(easy to configure) are great options, used them many, many times in a VMware lab.
  • kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    My only issue with OpenFiler is that there can be a fair bit of wait time between screens when setting it up, but 30 minutes to set everything up and just turning it on when you need it is definitely worth the wait times.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • MarinadMarinad Member Posts: 11 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i do not understand anything in this topic