Cyber Security Analyst II – Austin

tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
This job is at my agency, The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, in Austin. The new hire will be working with me and a couple of others.

I'm not allowed to offer advice on how to apply for or obtain this job. All I can say is that if you apply, make sure that your application fits the job requirements to be considered. Try to cover every bullet point if you can. Essentially, it's a network security role.

https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/hresources/CyberSecAnalystII-0904-19.htm

This position closes on 10/2/2018.

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    TE appreciates your detailed lack of advice icon_smile.gif
  • tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I only said that because we've gotten so many applications in the past from people who weren't even remotely qualified. Or sometimes they would only skim over the requirements and then include a resume. The listing clearly states that resumes will not be accepted in lieu of applications. Why bother with someone who can't follow directions?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I hear you. I just opened a position and asked my internal recruiter to filter the heck out of them as she used to send me people who were basically call center heldesk types. And I mean call center, not even desktop technicians.
  • sunrise1994sunrise1994 Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am not able to download the application. i have long experience in SOC Operation. if you can help

Thanks.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sometimes it's tough to get all the experience an employer is looking for. Despite my employer paying for Checkpoint firewall training for me, I never touch firewalls. That's another group, I'll have a tough time getting that kind of experience icon_sad.gif
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    I am not able to download the application. i have long experience in SOC Operation. if you can help

Thanks.

You can download a State of Texas application in Word or PDF here:

https://twc.texas.gov/jobseekers/state-texas-application-employment#applicationFormForDownload

Good luck!
    TechGromit wrote: »
    Sometimes it's tough to get all the experience an employer is looking for. Despite my employer paying for Checkpoint firewall training for me, I never touch firewalls. That's another group, I'll have a tough time getting that kind of experience icon_sad.gif

My last agency shelled out $3000 for me to take project management training at the University of Texas. After I passed (with an A), they said, that's great; now get back to work. I tried to get into our PMO, at least on a partial basis, but that didn't happen. My boss even hinted that I would start leading security projects. Nope. Their loss.
    By the way, the State of Texas does not pay relocation expenses, nor do they pay to bring candidates in for interviews, unfortunately. That said, we could possibly conduct a Skype interview if the distance is too far to drive.
  • McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That's one of the better job listings that I've seen. Its clear that HR didn't write that up lol.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
    McxRisley wrote: »
    That's one of the better job listings that I've seen. Its clear that HR didn't write that up lol.

My boss wrote it. Yeah, it definitely is more clear than an HR-written listings.
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tedjames wrote: »
    By the way, the State of Texas does not pay relocation expenses, nor do they pay to bring candidates in for interviews, unfortunately. That said, we could possibly conduct a Skype interview if the distance is too far to drive.

I was just making a point about the experience, i have no interest taking a serious cut in pay. Although I would love to move to Texas, less snow.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
    TechGromit wrote: »
    I was just making a point about the experience, i have no interest taking a serious cut in pay. Although I would love to move to Texas, less snow.

Yeah, state work, at least in Texas, does pay less than the private sector. It's unfortunate, because that makes it difficult to attract and retain truly talented people. There are still plenty of private sector opportunities in the major Texas cities. Sure, less snow. But more heat. Maybe a lower cost of living. I don't know what it's like in your neck of the woods.