Hedge Fund Job opportunity

Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all,

Got approached for HF position in NY total compensation would be around 180k...but I live in DC area. its a Senior Position relating to GRC, Awareness,Security Engineering (my jam), operations/response. trying to gauge if this is worth the moving to being government contractor my entire career. the reason it interest me is because my end goal is to become a CISO and this appears to be a leap in the right direction however is it a game changer? (haven't had a chance to talk to recruiter on additional details). part of what holding me back is even though salary is cool...i know New York is a much higher cost of living i figured my expenses would be around $3500-$4200 with a month

trying to get different member perspectives/angles on this..i get offers all the time but for whatever reason it sticks out..but totally ignorant when it comes to private sector

edit: i'm looking at this from the potential experience i can gain on becoming CISO, the money is the incentive to move and deal with renting out my place before returning a few years later

Comments

• Tekn0logyTekn0logy Member Posts: 113 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Z0sickx wrote: »
    part of what holding me back is even though salary is cool...i know New York is a much higher cost of living i figured my expenses would be around $3500-$4200 with a month

Expense all depends on how close you want to live to the office. NYC is well connected by surface/rapid transit so a car is not necessary especially if living in the borough of Manhattan. Wow, I just took a peek at realtor and the rents are crazy. You could also consider an apartment in Jersey City which is just as well connected for about $1k less a month. You might want to check with some other headhunters for similar contracts in the area with similar billing rates.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Private sector means probably more on call responsibilities...and at anything involving investing, you are probably going to have a higher stress level no matter what.

Certain industries tend to have different peak times of the year, you will be working with a lot more variety of people/personalities (everybody government or defense tends to be similar). On the flip side you will get exposure to things moving much quicker, new technologies, different environments (although still highly regulated industry).

Additionally, if you hold a clearance just make sure you decide if that is valuable to you....once you leave you have 2 years to reactivate it, and if you are close to or pending a new investigation that might cause issues if you want to go back.

In the end, if you want to be a CISO, government isn't going to be the optimal location...you do get valuable policy experience though.
  • LeBrokeLeBroke Member Posts: 490 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd do it. NY rents are crazy expensive, but honestly given the comp, you're probably better off than in, for example, San Francisco.

$2500-3000 will get you a pretty nice 2-bedroom apartment a 20-30 minute train ride from work.

If you're single, a 1-bed or studio is cheaper, easier, and New York is a pretty fun city from everything I've heard, especially if you have money.
  • Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    LeBroke wrote: »
    I'd do it. NY rents are crazy expensive, but honestly given the comp, you're probably better off than in, for example, San Francisco.

$2500-3000 will get you a pretty nice 2-bedroom apartment a 20-30 minute train ride from work.

If you're single, a 1-bed or studio is cheaper, easier, and New York is a pretty fun city from everything I've heard, especially if you have money.

I have phone call with them next week...oddly next day my PM wanted to have lunch to talk about promotion for current location...so we'll see how that goes.

based of the NY position i would be working closely with CISO so it seems like a win win, i know it probably won't be a typical 9-5 and i'll most likely have more stress, and i'm expecting more of a cut throat environment not sure what to expect mentally. i was looking at studios for like 3k if i can get a 1-2 bedroom thats in downtown and not in a shitty area for cheaper i'm interested

i do have a GF..so i'd probably end things
  • strokin3strokin3 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello all,

Got approached for HF position in NY total compensation would be around 180k...but I live in DC area. its a Senior Position relating to GRC, Awareness,Security Engineering (my jam), operations/response. trying to gauge if this is worth the moving to being government contractor my entire career. the reason it interest me is because my end goal is to become a CISO and this appears to be a leap in the right direction however is it a game changer? (haven't had a chance to talk to recruiter on additional details). part of what holding me back is even though salary is cool...i know New York is a much higher cost of living i figured my expenses would be around $3500-$4200 with a month

trying to get different member perspectives/angles on this..i get offers all the time but for whatever reason it sticks out..but totally ignorant when it comes to private sector

edit: i'm looking at this from the potential experience i can gain on becoming CISO, the money is the incentive to move and deal with renting out my place before returning a few years later

Based on your certs (CISSP especially) I think you could get significantly more if you joined the NYC hedge fund industry. If you're thinking about making the move I'd say join the right hedge fund. You can easily beat 200k total comp... Maybe even 200k base.
  • Z0sickxZ0sickx Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    strokin3 wrote: »
    Based on your certs (CISSP especially) I think you could get significantly more if you joined the NYC hedge fund industry. If you're thinking about making the move I'd say join the right hedge fund. You can easily beat 200k total comp... Maybe even 200k base.

That just seems absurd kind of money..i was always under the impression my salary would cap out at around 150-160k if i was the top of my niche. i thought that kind of money was reserved for Executive level
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That just seems absurd kind of money..i was always under the impression my salary would cap out at around 150-160k if i was the top of my niche. i thought that kind of money was reserved for Executive level
    I think the poster may be referring to salaries in the executive or senior manager level. It really depends on the the company. I work in financial services and compensation is likely higher than other industries.

Just my 2 cents - but my advice would be to go try to get an offer before having to worry about whether you want to move or not. For all you know - you may not like the company or even get an offer. For me - there is one hedge fund that I would never work at regardless of compensation.

Good luck.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□

I know a few people doing O&M who make more than 200k, the key is to be awesome in a niche. Someone won't get there by being a sysadmin.