Traveling IT Positions

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
Just curious what your experiences were for travel positions.

I'm currently in the running for a requirements / solution position for software transactional systems and bi solutions.

Essentially you travel on Monday to a plant and meet with the end users having discussions in regards to their short coming, challenges etc....

This role is almost 100% requirements and solutions. The travel is between 20 - 50%.

I've never worked a role like this, any insights or story sharing would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Living out of a suitcase, lots of eating out, coming home for the weekend, and lots of different customers.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Essentially you travel on Monday to a plant and meet with the end users having discussions in regards to their short coming,
    Talking to users about their shortcomings (the user's) sounds ideal.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are single, then it is great job.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • KyrakKyrak Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just took one myself. On site (3 hour flight from where I live) every week Mon-Thurs. All expenses paid, $50 per diem for food with no receipts, etc. I'm going to make out like a bandit with the flight miles and the hotel / car rental points / credit card points. As someone mentioned, my girlfriend really isn't the happiest about it but it is a great opportunity so I think it will be worth the sacrifice.

Ask me in 6 months :)
    Up next: On Break, but then maybe CCNA DC, CCNP DC, CISM, AWS SysOps Administrator
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    It can be great, especially if you have autonomy and you ahead when are you going to travel

- Good travel positions: you know well ahead of time that you're going to travel so you plan your week ahead. Your family knows and you can have your social life intact. It can be great, be open and use the travel as an opportunity to meet more people and have fun.

- Bad travel positions: last minute travels, unplanned. Have to go to places with poor conditions or dead small towns where it's hard to get a proper meal past 7:00 pm.

Either way, you can make it work to your advantage. Customer experience and requirements gathering this is a step in the right direction and can open doors for bigger and better things. Just be mindful as I've notice travel positions tend to attract unhealthy lifestyle choices as eating healthy and exercise become challenging IF you don't prioritise it. Watch your sleep patterns & be plan for Jetlag if you travel far distances
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• DeezyFFDeezyFF Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kasor wrote: »
    If you are single, then it is great job.
    Agreed, if i was single and had no kids I would definitely do it.
    WGU BS-IT Security: Complete
    ​:cheers:
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    It can be great, especially if you have autonomy and you ahead when are you going to travel

- Good travel positions: you know well ahead of time that you're going to travel so you plan your week ahead. Your family knows and you can have your social life intact. It can be great, be open and use the travel as an opportunity to meet more people and have fun.

- Bad travel positions: last minute travels, unplanned. Have to go to places with poor conditions or dead small towns where it's hard to get a proper meal past 7:00 pm.

Either way, you can make it work to your advantage. Customer experience and requirements gathering this is a step in the right direction and can open doors for bigger and better things. Just be mindful as I've notice travel positions tend to attract unhealthy lifestyle choices as eating healthy and exercise become challenging IF you don't prioritise it. Watch your sleep patterns & be plan for Jetlag if you travel far distances

The better you are the more you get the bad travels.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have been traveling more for work, maybe 25%?

Hotels seldom match their descriptions, you will need to stay somewhere at least once. Don't be afraid to move after arrival, argue to get a refund if needed. Uber it when possible. Rental cars in some cities are not worth it. Bring a bag for dirty clothes.

Stay overnight an extra night when possible and check out the touristy stuff. I work from home and dive deep into my work. This can make me pretty dull....however being able to talk about walking around mid town Manhattan, seeing the statue of liberty up close, etc....that can make me less dull in social settings.
  • TechnicalJayTechnicalJay Member Posts: 219 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kyrak wrote: »
    I just took one myself. On site (3 hour flight from where I live) every week Mon-Thurs. All expenses paid, $50 per diem for food with no receipts, etc. I'm going to make out like a bandit with the flight miles and the hotel / car rental points / credit card points. As someone mentioned, my girlfriend really isn't the happiest about it but it is a great opportunity so I think it will be worth the sacrifice.

Ask me in 6 months :)

What's your position?
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Worked that way for 6 years with family, my children were born in that time... Yeah, sometimes you are out there for 5 days of the week, hotels and junk food and distant alien towns, but the pay is typically good and you have an opportunity to learn very diverse environments and make contacts. I say it's good for an earlier stage of one's career...
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Didn't get it..... My asking price was too steep.

Thanks for all the insights.
  • SquishedSquished Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I travel to 10 countries fairly regularly and have been doing so for 9 years. I was single when i took the job and I'm married with kids now. At some point travel jobs no longer fit lifestyles, but everyone has a different tolerance. I'm just about at the end of my tolerance.
    [2018] - A+ 901 (PASS), A+ 902 (PASS), Project+ (PASS), Security+ (PASS), Network+(PASS), CySA, Cloud+
    [2018] - MBA - IT Management - WGU (PASS)

HR: “What if we train them and they leave?”
    ME: “What if we don’t train them and they stay?”
  • KyrakKyrak Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What's your position?
    Sorry for the late post. Security Architect.
    Up next: On Break, but then maybe CCNA DC, CCNP DC, CISM, AWS SysOps Administrator