Slipstreamed Windows 10 1803 ISO File No Longer Fits on 8.5 GB DVD-R

bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
The Windows 10 version 1803 installation DVD (ISO file) is 4.69 GB. All the updates up until September 19, 2018 add up to 7.94 GB. After slipstreaming all these updates into the Windows 10 ISO file, the total file size becomes 8.9 GB, too big to fit on a dual-layer 8.5 GB DVD-R disc.

So it looks like I will be installing Windows 10 from a Blu-Ray disc from here on out...

Too bad Microsoft does not offer a slipstreamed ISO file with all these updates to download from their website, unlike Apple. You have to download the ISO file and then slipstream all these updates yourself. icon_sad.gif Or you could spend hours downloading gigabytes of updates...
2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science

Comments

• malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Installing Windows from a USB stick is the way forward. I always keep one spare only to use for installations.
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I'm actually surprised you're trying to fit it on a DVD. Not all laptops and desktops have CD-ROM/DVR/Blu-Ray drives but almost every single one has a USB port. That's probably the best way to do it as Malachi mentioned. I actually have a few different bootable USB drives with various Linux flavors, Windows 10, etc. Works like a charm that way and easier to travel with.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • bjpeterbjpeter Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Installing Windows from a USB stick is the way forward. I always keep one spare only to use for installations.

What's the filesystem of the USB stick? The install.wim file is bigger than the max file size that FAT32 will support, so I do not know of any other way to burn an install DVD onto a flash drive.
    2021 Goals (2): SSCP, eCPPT
    Achieved (27): Certified Associate in Python Programming, Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals, PenTest+, Project+, CySA+, Flutter Certified Application Developer, OCP Java EE 7 Application Developer, CCSP, OCP Java SE 11 Developer, CISSP, Linux+/LPIC-1, CCSKv4, OCE Java EE 6 JPA Developer, CSSLP, Server+, Cloud+, Arcitura Certified Cloud Professional, CASP+, Mobility+, Storage+, Android Certified Application Developer, OCP Java SE 8 Programmer, Security+, OCM Java SE 6 Developer, B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    You can just reformat the USB to NTFS: https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-make-a-bootable-ntfs-usb

But there are may tools that create Windows 10 bootable USBs in FAT32: https://www.pcsuggest.com/create-windows-10-bootable-usb/
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • malachi1612malachi1612 Member Posts: 430 ■■■■□□□□□□
    bjpeter wrote: »
    What's the filesystem of the USB stick? The install.wim file is bigger than the max file size that FAT32 will support, so I do not know of any other way to burn an install DVD onto a flash drive.

I always use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, does everything for you https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO
    Certifications:
    MCSE: Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, MCSA: Windows Server 2016, ITIL Foundation, MCSA: Windows 10, MCP, Azure Fundamentals, Security+.

• ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I carry one USB drive with numerous versions of Windows, Linux distros, and repair tools

When you boot off the USB you are greeted with a nice organised menu in which you can select operating system or tool to run.

Easy2Boot

is what you need :)
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • stonebiographystonebiography Member Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    edited November 2019
    Download Windows iso file and burn it to USB,at last,install Windows 10,it is a perfect way,and.iso file are between 2.2 and 4.2GB,USB minimum 8 gb.