Passed CISM, CISA with 3 days of prep each

sourya81sourya81 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
First of all, this is not something I recommend. If you have time, definitely take that time to prep more. Unfortunately, I didn't have much of that, but by the grace of Gods (I'm Indian, we worship several :)), I passed. Here are a little more details.

About Me

I'm a security consultant with 13+ years of experience in risk and security. I have worked in the Big 4 and currently part of the group leadership at a boutique. I have also helped develop and implement a security strategy at a successful startup (unfortunately, I was a contractor and didn't get that big equity everyone associates with successful startups
icon_sad.gif). I'm also the proud, elated and somewhat tired father of a 1.5-years old and a 5-month old. While my wife takes on the major portion of childcare and home care, it's not easy studying with both my kids crying in unison icon_rolleyes.gif. And of course, weekends are dedicated to them.

Certifications

CISSP
- This I got in 2016. In my opinion, one of the hardest certifications and the only one I wasn't sure of passing after pressing the Submit button. I studied for 3 weeks for this exam. I have taken a few tough exams - PMP, ITIL Intermediates, Salesforce Admin & Dev - and this was definitely the toughest. I used most of the allotted exam time. The only prep material was the official textbook.

CISM - This was the easiest of the security certification exams I have taken till date. Pretty much the default answer is "aligned to business". I studied for 3 days. I used Cybrary. I did purchase the book (reimbursed by employer), but it was oh so boring! I just used it to practice the questions. I completed the test in 2 hours.

CISA - Difficulty would be midway between CISSP and CISM, but leaning more towards the latter. I studied for 3 days again. Cybrary was my material of choice, supplemented by the questions database that my employer paid for. I completed the test in 1 hour 40 mins.

I think getting the CISSP first definitely helped with the CISM and CISA. Best of luck to all those attempting these certifications!
icon_thumright.gif

Comments

• UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Well congrats and welcome to the forums!

Passing the exams in 3 days (CISA/CISM) and CISSP in 3 weeks, seems like you already knew the material from experience AND the exams aren't actually tough

I'm curious, have you learned anything new from the exam material? or did you rely completely on your previous experience?

Again, welcome to the forums! Hope you post more and share your experience with us!
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations! That's quite an achievement!
  • ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo Member Posts: 389 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! That's some speedy good work. You must have some mutant powers LOL.
  • Info_Sec_WannabeInfo_Sec_Wannabe Member Posts: 428 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All I can say to you is bowing.gif and to your wife bowing.gifbowing.gifbowing.gif.
    X year plan: (20XX) OSCP [ ], CCSP [ ]
  • kurtkobaindtkurtkobaindt Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    wow what an awesome journey...congrats icon_thumright.gif
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Very impressive...with only 3 days of prep, Congrats!! Wish I had the level of concentration!
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)