Newbie Saying Hi! - Just Started Studying Server+

RD_KrytenRD_Kryten Posts: 1Registered Users ■□□□□□□□□□
Just joined the forum so thought I'd create my first post and say, hi!

Yesterday I became the proud owner of the McGraw-Hill CompTIA Server+ Exam Guide! I've just completed reading the 1st chapter which is an introduction to the rest of the book and I've already made plenty of notes including a few new things that I've never come across in my career. :)

I got my A+ (and an MCP) nearly 20 years ago and have just been learning 'on-the-job' ever since! I think it's time to move on from my current place of work so time to get some certification under my belt icon_cool.gif I'm starting with the Server+ and plan to then go on to do Cloud+

I just need to get cracking, do some practice questions and then bite the bullet and find somewhere in the UK to buy the exam from. :D

Comments

• ThePawofRizzoThePawofRizzo SSCP, A+, N+, Sec+, CySA+, Cloud+, CWTS Posts: 389Member ■■■■□□□□□□
    Welcome! You've come to the right place for any assistance - or inspiration - in your studies. I think anyone working professionally in IT benefits greatly by continually studying. And studying with a goal in mind, like a degree or certification helps.

I took Server+ long ago when it first came out. I really wondered if the certification wouldn't be retired over time, but I'm glad to see it's still around. I took it after I moved into a role where I was still doing desktop support, but had started doing some basic server administration. I thought the study was instrumental in my later job move into a full-time server administration role.

One point, while Server+ is not a continuing education, or "CE", certification where you have to maintain CEs every three years, when you take Cloud+ it will be a CE certification. The main point to remember, in case your current A+ is a CE cert, that Cloud+ CEs are maintained separately from what would be A+ CEs, and the allowed CE topics for each certification are generally different. So, once you take Cloud+ you could be doing a whole different track of CEs to maintain the cert, unlike CEs for A+,N+, Sec+, CySA+, Pentest+, and CASP which will allow you maintain the CE track of the highest level cert to renew the lower levels. I have up to CySA+ as well as Cloud+ myself, so I have to handle the two different CE tracks as well. I do wish CompTIA would do some type of combo for Cloud+ to help reduce some of that effort. But be aware.

Again, Welcome!
  • D20D20 Member Posts: 106Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm thinking of picking up this book as well soon as I would love to get Server+ under my belt as well.
    Certifications: A+ Sec+
    2020 Goals: Pass VMware Foundations Exam
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Posts: 662Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think there is not much value in Server+, except if you are working for an HPe partner, because Server+ can be used as a prerequisite for some HPE service certification. 
  • D20D20 Member Posts: 106Member ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think there is not much value in Server+, except if you are working for an HPe partner, because Server+ can be used as a prerequisite for some HPE service certification. 
    I've heard Server+ can be used to renew A+ and Sec+. If so, I'll probably go for it as I could use it for learning and renewing my other Comptia certs.
    Certifications: A+ Sec+
    2020 Goals: Pass VMware Foundations Exam
  • SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Posts: 662Member ■■■■■□□□□□
    edited October 21
    D20 said:
    I've heard Server+ can be used to renew A+ and Sec+. If so, I'll probably go for it as I could use it for learning and renewing my other Comptia certs.
    Check with Comptia, I doubt it is working.. If yes. go ahead.
  • Skyliinez92Skyliinez92 Level 99 Wizard Posts: 821Mod Mod
    Welcome to Techexams and good luck with your studies! Please let us know how you get on and shout if you need any support for resources to help you pass.
    Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to. - Richard Branson
  • shahlapirniashahlapirnia ITF+ A+ Posts: 23Registered Users ■■■□□□□□□□
    The current exam version of the CompTIA Server+ which is SK0-004 was introduced in July 2015. This version is Good for Life — GFL.

CompTIA has been working on getting together a new version of Server+. They gathered subject matter experts — SMEs earlier this year.

No word yet about any beta exams.
    WIP: Network+
  • shahlapirniashahlapirnia ITF+ A+ Posts: 23Registered Users ■■■□□□□□□□
    edited October 21
    D20 said:
    @SteveLavoie @D20

Server+ fully renews Network+ and A+.
    WIP: Network+